Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Reached out and touched a buck in Region 8H, NY. >

Reached out and touched a buck in Region 8H, NY.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Reached out and touched a buck in Region 8H, NY.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default Reached out and touched a buck in Region 8H, NY.

Finally got out today, first time since opening dayof bow. Wind was perfect for what I needed for my new stand, which only happens a couple days a season, since the wind is always SW here. Luckily it was NE today.
[/align]
[/align]Got in the stand @ 2:45. Noticed the wind changed directions to NW and W...blowing my scent right through the woods into the alfalfa field...not what I wanted to see. Same time, three does came in the woods and caughtmy scent and busted me at 40 yards. They did not know where I was though. Figured the day was ruined...then the wind started back to NE, it must have took all my scent off the woods that the does caught. 25minutes after the does hightailed it,a buck walked in from the same direction, and eventually landed within 10 yards of my stand. I hit both lungs.
[/align]
[/align]The thing ran over 200 yards into the woods, doing a zig zag pattern. Took me and 2 others an hour to trail the blood. Luckily, my 10-year-old cousin came out with us, and he turned out to be part bloodhound, as he was the only one who could track. None of us would have even thought the buck would zig-zag like that. We'd see the blood trail go cold, and fan out to find it, but the kid always seemed to find the trail...he would double back immediately everytime right into the trail...needless to say, I'll be using his services again...I now believe what many hunters say about kids being really good trackers since they are closer to the ground.
[/align]
[/align]Not a monster, but, still, a buck, and it feels good to get it under the belt for the season. Now, I'm after the 10-pointer I've got trail cam shots of, and maybe a doe.
[/align]
[/align]PS. The wife likes this picture because I look like I'm still in High School...haha. Guess who's getting lucky twice tonight?...lol.
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
Old 10-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Reached out and touched a buck in Region 8H, NY.

good kill...ur realtree camo looks like it does a god job
Old 10-22-2005, 09:21 PM

Congrats! and thanks for the story.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:28 AM

Phade,
Nice job! Thanks for the story behind it. I hope that 10 pointer you are seeing isn't near Callan Road. I want him and his 8 point brother. One will help me celebrate shotgun season and the other will help me celebrate muzzleloading season.

Again, nice work. Jeff
Old 10-23-2005, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

I hope you read the regs. You can't use the regular season tag during early archery. So until Nov. 19 you can only shoot a doe.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe Phade's wife will arrow the 10pt. !!! Good job Phade, not a bad deer. I'd stuck him myself. I too have been experiencing those shifting, swirling winds in 7m, drives ya crazy doesn't it!!
Old 10-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sublimaze41

Phade,
Nice job! Thanks for the story behind it. I hope that 10 pointer you are seeing isn't near Callan Road. I want him and his 8 point brother. One will help me celebrate shotgun season and the other will help me celebrate muzzleloading season.

Again, nice work. Jeff
haha....I've got some real interesting news for you. I hunt the property between Cider and DeNoon. I developed two rolls of my cam film, and that ten point is undersized compared to TWO eight points (one might be a 9- has a small split on one tine). They both are 130-140+ class bucks. One of them looks like it may only be a 2.5 yr old.

I bet you or the people who have seen them might think the two are one buck, as I did initially, but I noticed the split tine, and it is clearly two different bucks.

The best part....I have all their patterns. I've been camming them since August. I think they'll stay put for the rut with all the does I've seen. I know where one of them is bedding during the day. And I don't have permission to hunt it.

Out of the bucks I've got this year (film), I hadn't got the one I took on Friday...but I just developed the latest film, and sure enough, there's a pic of him.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BuckAlley

Maybe Phade's wife will arrow the 10pt. !!! Good job Phade, not a bad deer. I'd stuck him myself. I too have been experiencing those shifting, swirling winds in 7m, drives ya crazy doesn't it!!

Thanks.
You aren't kidding, it was almost as if the wind wanted to go against me. It was literally 30 seconds before the does came in. I almost thought about getting down. Good thing I didn't.

Old 11-10-2005, 06:14 PM

Nice Deer!
Old 11-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice work Phade....I am sure there will be more to come...