Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 ny southern tier - rifles vs. proximity >

ny southern tier - rifles vs. proximity

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

ny southern tier - rifles vs. proximity

Old 10-25-2005, 04:21 PM

Default RE: ny southern tier - rifles vs. proximity

Phade,
just after asking about a good butcher I saw a flyer at Genesee Valley. Glad to hear you like them. I hope to get 4 deer this year and will keep some, give some to frieds and some to Venison donation.

I understand some of the arguments about the addition of rifles to the hunting mix. Personally I feel as if I need 1 or 2 shells from my 7mm-08 or .30-06to get a deer. With shotgun, I am not as confident. My biggest concern with shotguns is their limited range in my hands. I will NOT take a shot over 75 yards. This is a firm limitation to me. With the above mentioned rifles I feel completely confident in a 200 yard shot. Each round is handloaded by me and the accuracy is more clearly defined. So what does this mean?? Well I pose less of a danger with a rifle than a hunter with an automatic hellbent slinging a mass of lead. Shotguns are inheritently LESS accurate and MORE likely to result in a missed shot. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:55 PM

Default RE: NY southern tier - rifles vs. proximity

ORIGINAL: sublimaze41

With shotgun, I am not as confident. My biggest concern with shotguns is their limited range in my hands. I will NOT take a shot over 75 yards. This is a firm limitation to me. With the above mentioned rifles I feel completely confident in a 200 yard shot.

This is what is bothering me the most about this.
I CAN'T SHOOT OVER 75 YARDS WITH MY SHOTGUN BUT NOW WITH MY RIFLE I CAN REACH OUT 200 TO 3OO YARDS.
If your shotgun won't do the job then get out of the wood cause
you are dangrous.......................can you see what is behind what you are shooting at clearly at that distance. ANSWER IS NO!!!!!!
I feel that after a year or two it will be better as people learn to use there rifles Pa has used them for years with out much trouble.
It is just attitudes like the abovethat I worry about.

Old 10-26-2005, 03:39 PM

Default RE: NY southern tier - rifles vs. proximity

Hey Fastfire....

Thanks for quoting me incorrectly. I don't recall saying I could shoot to 300 yards. In fact I find your response puzzling. Did you completely read the other post? Perhaps you don't know, but there is a world of difference between shooting a shotgun to 75 yards and a rifle to 200 yards. I always expect very accurate shots with a rifle, to with in 2-3 inches with a moderate rest. With a shotgun at 75 yards I can shoot for the vital organ AREA.

Do you have a secret for shotgunning accuracy? Please share because constructive pointers are always nice.