Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Got an 8 pointer... >

Got an 8 pointer...

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Got an 8 pointer...

Old 10-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Got an 8 pointer...

Went out this morning. I kept hearing squirrels playing around behind my stand. At 7am I heard, what I thought was a squirrel, and looked behind me. About 3 yards from my stand I saw a 8 pointer walking towards my stand. It browsed directly beneath my stand for about 5 minutes. As it started to walk away, quartering away. I stood and drew my bow. I made a sound to stop him. I shot and watched as my arrow smack him right in the hind quarter.. Man was I SICK about that. It ran about 80 yards out of sight and I thought I heard it crash. I waited...all of about 5 minutes (I know I should have waited longer and would have if I didn't hear it crash) and started tracking it. I got about 80 yards and found my arrow full of blood. After another 20 yards I saw the deer laying under a tree dead. The arrow did hit it in the hind quarter but luckily the arrow went right through the center of the liver and killed it pretty quickly. It dressed out at 125Lbs. It's only my second archery buck. The more I think about it I think the buck didn't stop when I made the noise and I released without leading it. In the excitement I can't remember too clearly but that is what makes the most sense to me. It was a 30 yard shot.

Old 10-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Got an 8 pointer...

pic 2

Old 10-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the buck!!!! Hope I get one like that this year.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:30 PM

Nice Buck! I shot one on the hind quarters last year and the thing only went 40 yards. I hit that main artery back there and it bled to death in minutes.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's a nice buck, congrats! He looks like the twin of the buck I got two years ago!
Old 10-17-2005, 10:13 PM

yeah.. Its a nice buck.. I was happy when he called me at 730 am.. I had to stop and see it on my way into work. I saw this buck 2 weeks ago on a thursday night when I went in after work. Now Rile1564 and our other buddy doug took out the small bucks.. They left me the big ones!
Old 10-18-2005, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the buck - and nice treestand, by the way. I really like those Summits.

It's not necessarily a bad shot if you can put 20-25" of shaft up through the quarters, through the guts, and into the chest cavity. It won't be a clean kill, and might make you second-guess yourself, but they usually don't go very far.

When I was a kid, I had a smallish doequartering hard away, and being the anxiousyoungster that I was, Iflung the arrow through the rear flank, and into the guts/liver. The whole arrow was inside of the deer when I found it. I don't thinkshe went 10 yards before piling up. Ugly but effective.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the buck. None of us wants to have a shot like that but if truth be told, most of us with any time in this game have had it happen.
The good thing is that you collected the deer.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

Really nice buck. Congrats!
Old 10-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

was there a lot of blood? if so you probably hit the femoral artery in the hind quarter. when you hit that they bleed as much as if you lunged him. oh and nice buck. nice to see fellow pa hunters harvesting bucks. i just hope i get a chance here at one sometime soon i am gettin antsy

Quick Reply: Got an 8 pointer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.