Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA day 13,  Made a rookie mistake today!! >

PA day 13, Made a rookie mistake today!!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA day 13, Made a rookie mistake today!!

Old 10-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default PA day 13, Made a rookie mistake today!!

Well, I blew it today! Had a nice buck, probably pushing low 130's and very unusual. He had a mule deer rack! He was well outside his ears and very high with the Y on Y configuration of a muley. Had him at 12 yards, he came in from behind my right shoulder. When I drew, he stopped behind a little tree with just enough cover to make a shot risky. I was calm and collected and simply waiting for one more step when POP the arrow was gone passing harmlessly a foot on front of him. Either I didnt have my release properlyengaged or I bumped the trigger because my position was a little contorted.

The good news is that he didnt spook. Hehung around (without giving me anther shot) for a good 10 minutes and simply walked away. I actually saw him again from the truck not 250 yards away four hours later. I also saw him preseason at the same stand site. He lives there and I didnt spook him. I'm gonna shoot him!
Old 10-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA day 13, Made a rookie mistake today!!

Go get that sucker! That is what makes it fun! I blew it two years ago on a true monster, never got another chance. This morning my bro and I walked up on two bucks going at it in the dark. I mean really aggressive antler crashing and roll on the groung stuff. We got to within 20 yards and I hit them with my light. (I have a super bright compact spot). They were two almost identical 8 points, I would say 3 1/2's maybe. Pretty nice bucks. They simply walked stiff legged away, never looked our way, one following the other. Pretty exciting. It was still pitch black and they were safe, as we would never attempt unethical things. I hunted most of the day and saw a doe and a 3 point.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:55 PM
Host of Hosts

Be patient! You'll get another chance at him. Be sure to show us what he looks like after you get him.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

well im sure youll get him, just keep after him. today i saw one doe at about 20yds. im feeling pretty lucky ive seen 4 deer this year so far. and my brother and dad havent seen any yet. and they go out almost everyday. tons of food out there i dont know whats going on. and to make things worse i fell on the way out and tore something in my knee.
now i got 2 bad knees the other one i blew out in football.. not good for being 30yrs old
Old 10-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck getting that buck BT! Sounds like he's a bigun'!

My day was hardly so eventful today. I was up and situated in my stand 1 hour before daybreak. Wouldn't you know it just as first legal light came rolling around some guy shows up late and walks past my stand 50 yards north of me right where I was expecting the deer to be coming. [:@] He then continues on his path for another 50 yards then makes a right turn into the woods and ends up selecting a tree about 60 yards east of me. Once there he makes alot of noise getting situated into his stand. I can hear his climber clunking as he's going up the tree. I glassed over him with my binos just to make sure he wasn't carrying a muzzleloader and facing my direction. Thankfully he was using a crossbow.

Things finally quiet down and no signs of deer activity. But it sure sounded like the muzzleloaders were having a blast! Literally! Gunshots rang out ever 5 min it seemed like. I ended up getting down out of my stand around 10am and saw zero deer. [:'(]

Hopefully Monday morning will be better. [:-]
Old 10-16-2005, 08:15 AM
Host of Hosts

other one i blew out in football.. not good for being 30yrs old

Should you be playing football at your age?
Old 10-16-2005, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

LOL no that was 11yrs ago when i was 19 first year college

ORIGINAL: fight4yourguns

other one i blew out in football.. not good for being 30yrs old

Should you be playing football at your age?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:39 AM

I didnt make any rookie mistakes.. I busted a doe at 25 yards right thru the heart. i think she went 30 yards and expired. My buddy shot at a doe.. 20 yards broad side and put the arrow 4 feet over her back. HE was not happy.. He went back to the range to make sure something didnt move.

On another note.. the deer moved very early yesterday morning. When we were heading into the woods I put my light up to find my bright eyes tack.. and then i saw 2 eyes.. of course it had to be of the 150 class buck who i am after. Only thing I saw after that was a squirrel, a forkhorn, and a small doe.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hi ccm352, I was wondering where in SE Payou hunt and or live? I'm in Lower Merion, Mont. Co. and hunt in Delaware Co. It's nice in Delco.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats ccm352 on the doe!!

BT I want pictures when you nail that guy!!

Quick Reply: PA day 13, Made a rookie mistake today!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.