Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Maryland Bowhunters - Public Land >

Maryland Bowhunters - Public Land

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maryland Bowhunters - Public Land

Old 10-13-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Maryland Bowhunters - Public Land

I'm originally from Western PA. I never had problems with access to land when I lived there (knew enough landowners, and had access to tons of public land). I've lived in the DC areafor the past year and a half. Any advice on public bowhuntingland in the surrounding area? The Frederick watershed has looked okay. How about Monocacy, or anything in the Hagerstown area? Also, has anyone hunted Stryder or any of the reservation hunt areas? I'm trying to save myself the 3 hour drive to PAto hunt.

Thanks and good luck.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Maryland Bowhunters - Public Land

Monocasy is good. It has both a gun side and a bow only side. Frederick watershed is alright, I guess, but I wouldn't waste my time. Try McKee Beshers in Montgomery County,or Indian Springs in Washington County.

Slice
Old 10-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Patuxent North Tract, 8,600 acres and only 6 or better bucks can be taken. Should be some nice ones running around there. Hunting control station is near the intersection of route 32 and 198, down "Bald Eagle Drive."
Old 10-13-2005, 12:01 PM

How's the pressure there? Does it get pounded pretty hard?

Thanks again for the info!
Old 10-13-2005, 12:09 PM

Greenbrier state land is good, and is less crowded and pressured. I would stay away from the water shed. Too many crazy people up there.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pressure is not bad. You have to check in and out of the area you want to hunt, and they have quotas. But in the past the only day you might have problems getting in the area you want is the opening day of shotgun. Even then, you can assure yourself a spot by preregisteringon Sunday before Maryland's shotgun opener. In fact, I've registered as late as Wednesday and still got the area I wanted, and never had much problems running into many people. If you bowhunt or hunt other gun days, you shouldn't have any problems at all, and during the week sometimes you might have a whole area to yourself. Many areas are 500 acres plus in size. Take the BW parkway to exit 32 east, and make a right on Bald Eagle drive just before you hit route 198 (at the ballfield).

There is a $40 charge for all weapons,you have to have a hunter's safety card and also qualify. If you don't, you just get back in line until you do. The next gun qualification is this Sunday (muzz, 2 out of 3 in paper plate at 40 yards, shotgun 3 out of 5). Bow qualifications are on Tuesdays and Thursdays 6 till dark and Saturdays, I believe 10 until 2 at 3D deer targets, 3 out of 5 in kill zones (one in each of three deer), and they are usually 23, 17 and 15 yards. You're only allowed 3 deer total and only one buck total and it has to have 6 or more points. But thatrestriction means there are a bunch of nice bucks in there running around.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:30 PM

Thanks again DougMD. I appreciate the info.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

About the check in...

You drive to a small building just off Bald Eagle Drive. Give them your card you get when you join and qualify, and they give you a hunter's pass and a vehicle pass. Then you drive to where you want to hunt. When you come back, give them back the passes and they give you your card. Any deer taken is weighed and if it is a buck, they take note of the number of points. All deer are posted inside what it was, how much it weighed, how many points, etc. so you can see what areas deer are being harvested in...
Old 10-16-2005, 11:19 AM

go to the eastren shore plenyt of public huntin hunting land
Old 10-16-2005, 06:34 PM

another place to hunt is beltsville agricultural research center B.A.R.C. in PG county. you must also qualify here 3/5 at 50 for shotgun 2/3 at 50 with ML and 3/5 with broadheads at 20 for bow. very nice and safe place to hunt. you can qualify with bow at the center but have to set up an arrangement for guns.

you also can go to a statewide qualification to qualify. the dates are on the DNRsite. http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/shootqualsessions.asp

good luck

Quick Reply: Maryland Bowhunters - Public Land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.