Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Exploded Arrow

Old 10-11-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Exploded Arrow

This is a ICS Camo Hunter Beman 400... Im shooting a muzzy 100 grain... Bowtec Justice, about 65 pounds...

WhenI released,I watch parts fly more to the left of me. I ease my arm down and looked at my hand to see if i had parts sticking, and there was none. At firstI thought the arrow flew off my rest to the left, but thats impossible; Im shooting a wisker biscuit. Im lucky to say im ok...

The only conclusionI came up with was whenI refletched my arrows last night.I scraped the glue off and some of the carbon coating, witch weakend the arrow?

Old 10-11-2005, 07:09 PM

Default RE: Exploded Arrow

Ive never seen anything like that. I dont know what to say.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

i just refletched a bunch. now you got me thinking?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that is a first for me. I've heard of it happening but this is the first time seeing pictures.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

you guys didnt see the pics going around of one exploding into a guys hand??? im almost 100% sure it was this board..(bowhuntingforum though) it was gross.......slivers stickingout of the guys hand and arm.......my it looked painful......makes me cringe thinking about it......good thing you didnt get hit with it..........you got LUCKY.....imagine getting hit with that at 250 some FPS.......
Old 10-12-2005, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Thats why I went back to aluminum.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:33 AM

I shoot with friends who shoot carbon arrows. I'm a dinosaur and have stuck with the old aluminum. Every shot, they flex the arrows and they swear they can hear the arrows cracking if they are fractured, and they do this EVERY SHOT! I can understand the safety issue here and have always questioned if it's worth it. Looking at the pic above, I'll stick with my old arrows. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had a Beman ICS explode in my bow a few years back, but it was a clean break, just above the fletchings. That was backwhen Beman first introduced the ICS wrapped, layered carbon design.

I wouldn't shoot one of those arrows again under any circumstance. Like you, I lucked out and the pieces flung clear of my arm. I was just happy that nobody got hurt and the dry-firedidn't damage my bow.

I shot aluminum for a long time after that incident, until 2 years ago, whenswitching to GT5575.

Live & Learn, I guess.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:46 AM

good thing you didnt get hurt
Old 10-12-2005, 10:01 AM

Arrow's structural integrity was probably compromised previously and you did not know it. Small crack or something that evenually led to this. Test your carbons by tapping them like you test a wooden baseball bat. Solid sound = good, anything other = bad.

Quick Reply: Exploded Arrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.