Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 To all you guys posting your land do to the "new "dangers of hunting. >

To all you guys posting your land do to the "new "dangers of hunting.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

To all you guys posting your land do to the "new "dangers of hunting.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:25 AM

Default To all you guys posting your land do to the "new "dangers of hunting.

Here are the dangers you really face:

Commissioner Erin M. Crotty has announced that 2003 was the safest year ever recorded for the nearly 700,000 sportsmen and sportswomen who hunt in New York State. The number of hunting-related injuries reported to DEC last year was 32; the previous low was 43 in 2000.
"New York has a long history of promoting safety in the field, with our state being the first in the nation to implement requirements for hunter safety courses for minors in 1949 and all hunters since 1960," Commissioner Crotty said. "DEC will continue to support the ongoing efforts of New York's Sportsman Education Program to promote responsible and safe hunting in our communities, because even one injury is too many."

Injuries Decline With Time

Hunter-orange clothing also has contributed to the reduction in hunting accidents.
The state's Sportsman Education Program is credited with leading to a 65 percent decline in the hunting injury rate over the past four decades, due in large part to the dedication of more than 3,300 volunteer instructors. The average number of hunting injuries has fallen from 137 per year in the 1960s to 48 per year so far this decade. This safety record emphasizes the fact that hunting has one of the lowest injury rates of any recreational activity.
Tragically, two of the injuries reported in 2003 resulted in fatalities. Twenty of the 32 incidents, including both fatalities, involved deer hunting. Seven of these incidents, including one of the fatalities, were self-inflicted.

Nine of the 2003 injuries occurred during springtime wild turkey hunting. All of these were visibility related, either because hunters failed to notice other hunters in their line of fire, or mistook them for game because of vegetation. Four of five hunters now wear at least some hunter orange safety clothing. This practice has reduced the number of injuries related to poor visibility.
Hunting-related shooting incidents are thoroughly investigated by the state's environmental conservation officers and investigators, usually in conjunction with the New York State Police, county sheriffs or local authorities. The lessons learned from these incidents are used to update and improve hunter safety courses to reduce hunting injuries each year.
Not a single one of the 20,000 junior license holders, aged 12 to 15, caused an injury in the 2003 season. Junior license holders can hunt small game under adult supervision.

700,000 total hunters - 20,000 junior hunters = 680,000 Adult Hunters
32 total hunting injuries - 12 non-deer hunting = 20 deer hunting
20 deer hunting injuries -
7 self inflicted = 13 injuries to other hunters

680,000 Adult Hunters /
13 injuries to other hunters =52,308:1 chances of being injured by another hunterand 680,000:1 chances of being killed by another hunter.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: To all you guys posting your land do to the "new "dangers of hunting.

Lower hunting accidents seems like a good thing. I am not that familiar with what is going on in New York right now. How are you relating this to having land posted?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: To all you guys posting your land do to the "new "dangers of hunting.

I think he's talking about the newly passed rifle law fpr deer hunting . There are some people that are posting there land becuase of fear of rifles

Old 10-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Is rifle hunting in New York a new occurrence? Was it like that for the whole state or just certain regions. Forgive my ignorance as I have never hunted outside of PA.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Interesting article
Old 10-07-2005, 02:54 PM

I am from MA, this is what I have absorbed of the situation so far. Any of you New Yorkers that are more informed, please correct any of my errors.

Counties in Northern and Central NY allowed rifle hunting. Recently a bill lapsed into law that opened certain counties in the "Southern Tier" and Central New York up to rifle hunting. Ever since the talk of the bill arised, guys have been over reacting about the safety concern and now people are posting their land to help prevent accidents. People have argued, with a valid statement, that rifle hunting has been out there in Northern NY and parts of Central NY and no major occurances have happened due to the use of rifles.

In my opinion, people's concern for safety since the bill lapsed into law has been blown way out of proportion. With muzzleloaders already allowed, the concern has been out there and yet nothing major has happened yet. Some people oppose that with a statement along the lines of "well a rifle gives you the capability to fire multiple shots." The anti's out there are trying to find every excuse in the book to oppose this, even if it isn't logical.

I hope that gets you up to speed, or at least an idea of what has been going on since the summer.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you for the synposis. It most certainly does get me up to speed. I appreciate your comments.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

pabowhunter that's what's happening I know a few guys that are learry (to say the least ) of rifles . They have no problems with a guy unloading a shotgun at a deer but they feel a rifle (which normally only fires once , twice at the most ) are too dangerous , go figure
Old 10-07-2005, 05:59 PM

PA Bowhunter,

Are you not aware of the attempts to ban Rifle Hunting in Lehigh County, PA?

Old 10-08-2005, 06:13 AM

Sorry I was not spacific about the meaning of my post. Yes there are signs up all over now saying "NO RIFLES" a long the roads bordering properties that are now posted, the funny part is they post there own land to "protect themselves" but I have never heard of a bullet stoping at posted land and falling to the ground, and an idiot who is going to break the law or who is not a "hunter" will tresspass and the only thing these people can do is patrol their entire property line through the season to keep people out posted signs are only as good as the people who obey them.

Johnl, even if someone had a semi-auto rifle (browning BAR) ect...by law they can only carry a rifle with a 5 rnd capacity so at best they will shoot 5 shots and stop.

Quick Reply: To all you guys posting your land do to the "new "dangers of hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.