Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Can someone clarify something. >

Can someone clarify something.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Can someone clarify something.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Can someone clarify something.

Alright my family and i got into a discussion over the weekend. And of course we don't really know who is right. Any info would be helpful.

I am partial to black powder, my father seems to think that i can use my muzzleloader during ALL firearms seasons (in rifle counties). Does anyone know if this is true. I would think that it is not, why else would they specifically have a muzzleloader season? I mean i think it would be awesome, but want to make sure before anything.

Thanks all
Karen
Old 10-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Can someone clarify something.

He's 100% correct. You can use a muzzleloader in ALL counties during the rifle season, even those where centerfire rifles are not allowed.

Slice
Old 10-03-2005, 09:26 AM

Your dad is right most states allow blackpower/muzzleloaders during regular rifle/gun season. Why because it's a legal hunting tool. Same as using a handgun. Now most states have definitions of a legal hunting tool...muzzle loader of greater then .40cal, or say handgun round with muzzle energy of or greater then @#*&.. The States that gun season means shotgun season, may or may not allow muzzle-loaders. I would use my muzzleloader over a shotgun with slugs, because my muzzleloader shoots better then any shotgun with slugs I own. Another reason someone would use a muzzleloader over a rifle or shotgun is if they were a convicted felon. Convicted felon's are prohibited from using firearms, however most are allowed to use and own a Blackpowder/muzzleloaders.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:33 AM

in pa you can but not in flintlock season.... i bow hunt during rifle season also don't do much rifle.. to many wacked people out there seen a guy get show 2 yrs ago in lancaster won't go back there anymore and that was with orange on... would use my muzz over any shot gun out there....
Old 10-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

True in NH and VT. Once Rifle opens - ML, Bow are all fine.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

yep you can use the ole muzzleloader in gun season in Maryland.......its especially nice for Balt co etc where its shotgun only, a scoped muzzleloader is what I would carry rather than a shotgun.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:40 PM

Kind of a hiearchy of weapons capablilities and being allowed to use 'lesser' weapons during a particular season. Basically, rifles are at the high end and everything else is a lesser weapon that you can use during the rifle season.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:44 PM

A side note:

A bow can be used during any deer season, at least here in MA. I think it is the same in NY too.

I would prefer the shotgun during the gun season in shotgun only areas only because I rarely see deer all by themselves. The shotgun gives me multiple shots for mulitple deer. I will have my ML ready in case if the reliable 870 does fail to perform.