Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA opener .......best ever!!!!! >

PA opener .......best ever!!!!!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA opener .......best ever!!!!!

Old 10-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA opener .......best ever!!!!!

Sat in the stand til 9 today cuz i had to head to hockey practice , managed to see 10 deer by 830, i had to get down then to start trackin a doe i punched one through , 40 yard broadside shot , doublelunger , im lettin her lay up tho cuz i watched her bed in the edge of a field , so my brother is gonna go pick her up for me .......but what is with the bucks man ? i had a nice 100 class 7 pt come in grunting up a storm , it was unreal , everyone that went out on the farm today saw a buck , and some couldnt tell how big, but we all said the same thing , they r pre ruttin , have to be , they r actually chasing doe like running and grunting , i was in awe. also the tree rats r busy , they were cutting all morning.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA opener .......best ever!!!!!

sounds like you had a great day...congrats on the doe.

I saw a couple of small does, but let them walk.....I'll be out again tonight.

How did everone else fair?
Old 10-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Had 3 guys stop by the house arouind 11 am .None seen a deer. I have not seen a deer in 2 months in any field at night around here. the *******++++Legal poachers *+-/ ( developers really cleaned them out.so much for deer around here.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:18 AM

I was not going to say anything but I saw three does this morning and they were being chased. Kinda early isn't it?
Old 10-01-2005, 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: tdf6997

I was not going to say anything but I saw three does this morning and they were being chased. Kinda early isn't it?
Seems early to me.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Saw three bucks and all seemed interested in the phermone scent I had placed up around my stand. I didn't see any bucks chasing does or bucks fighting but a buddy of mine who was hunting neighboring private land reported as much.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a great opening day here in PA. I didn't kill one, but saw plenty and passed 3 mature does today because I am holding out for a buck of 100". I will put down a doe during rifle or muzzleloader season if I need meat.

First thing I saw 2 very young racoons fighting like school kids under my stand. They put on quite the show. One kept reaching out like a monkey and pulling the other ones tail......lol

At about 8:15 I had a HUGE doe and her button buck fawn show up at 40 yards. I had a very good broadside shot at her but there were rubs everywhere in there within sight and I didn't want to mess up a good spot for the day.

Went back out to a new evening stand, and sure enough at about 5:30 another HUGE doe and her button buck and doe fawn come out..........followed by a scrubby 3 point two year old buck. He grunted and chased them sniffing the hind quarters of the mature doe? I have never seen this behavior this early in season but they were all around the tree for quite a while, the fawns were directly under me and the doe and this three pointer made circles for about 10 minutes. Finally the doe and her fawns took off with the buck shortly behind them.

At about 6pm another average size doe and her 2 fawns passed by as well at about 10 yards. All of the deer I saw in the evening were less than 15 yards from the base of my tree. No hunting on Sunday's in PA, so hopefully next weekend will yield some results. If not, I have one more weekend after next to hunt in PA, then the entire week of 11/5. There were uncountable numbers of rubs in both stands I hunted today, several on trees 4-6" in diameter, hopefully some of the big bucks we got on camera this summer are still around.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:00 PM

I had a spike come by me chasing a doe today so I guess things are a little early this year...
Old 10-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Morning: Passed 3 mature does, saw 5 total no bucks........3 complete idiots walking around together in blaze orange jackets and hats (looked like a father and 2 teenage sons?) SCOUTING!! They walked the entire perimeter of my hunting area, cut across it once 40 yards behind me.[:@]
This is private land too......unfortunately it borders state gamelands and anyone who hunts PA knows the rest of that story.

Evening: Fun. I watched a buck rub a tree for 10-15 minutes in thick brush about 40 yards from my stand......boy he was working it over.
Finally headed my way and bedded down 20 yards in front of me. It was a strange rack, just a big sweeping spike that was actually ear width! with one goofy point near the end of one beam making it a 3pt. Nice looking deer anyway and walked right down my "killin' trail" stopping broadside at 17yds.
Also passed 3 more mature does and saw 2 button bucls as well for 6 deer total.

11 deer total for the first day. No legal bucks but it was entertaining.
I also don't ever remeber the squirrels being soooooooo active in there. Man they were working OT all morning and evening.
Boy I hope they don't have the scoop on a bad winter.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Walking in I caught a wiff of rank urine. It was right off the road and no othersenter there soI know it wasn't bottled scent. Seemed strange andI said as much at the time. My Dad had a nice 2 1/2 year old 8 point that stood broadside to him for more than a half hour at 10 yards. He passed on it. I saw a nice doe and her twin fawns, about 25 turkeys and one HUGE gobbler (10 inch beard)in particular that would have been a slam dunk with the bow at 15 yards. No bucks showed for me.A buddy stopped and reported that his boy stuck a small 8 point right over the hill from me. He had to let it bed for a time before giving it anotherpoke to complete the transaction. Was a good shot but didn't do the job completely for some reason.

Quick Reply: PA opener .......best ever!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.