HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Rifles in bad hands (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/114221-rifles-bad-hands.html)

SPIKEHORN11 09-25-2005 06:11 PM

Rifles in bad hands

I put trust in most hunters but I spoke to my grandfather who told me he was outtraining hisnew puppy and heard shots. He said he could here them wizzing right near him overhead. He got out of there and went up to the guys. He said the guys weren't using any back stop and shooting semi rifles with bananna clips doing rapid fire as fast as they could. Nothing wrong with that except no back stop untill they started telling him how they paln on using then for hunting deer since the rifle bill is in effect. Thats great that we have to worry about poor hunters with rifles. I know I will be wearing blaze orange hat and vestwhen I hunt there this year. This is not intended to bash rifles at all. I just wanted to vent how a few people can ruin and make a bad name for all of us.

MDManiac 09-25-2005 09:52 PM

RE: Rifles in bad hands

If i may ask...where abouts do you hunt? Both Northern and Southern Tier?

Rwalter63 09-25-2005 10:30 PM

Well some consolation they won't be able use bannana clips during the hunting season. In NY the regulations for rifles state that a semi-automatic rifle can not hold more than 5 rounds total.

cardeer 09-26-2005 02:48 AM

Shanna looks like a banana.

SPIKEHORN11 09-26-2005 05:27 AM

ORIGINAL: MDManiac

If i may ask...where abouts do you hunt? Both Northern and Southern Tier?
Yes both northern and southern. I am for the rifle but choose not to use them myself. Too thick where I hunt. I do use a .243 up north but it is more open and less houses around. It just makes me mad that just a couple people can make us look bad.

johnl 09-26-2005 06:46 AM

I might take some flack for this but I think that semi auto's should be banned for hunting. If you can't kill them in one or two shots the next 3 won't help 9 times out of 10 you're just shooting into thin air

Sylvan 09-26-2005 07:09 AM

I might take some flack for this but I think that semi auto's should be banned for hunting. If you can't kill them in one or two shots the next 3 won't help 9 times out of 10 you're just shooting into thin air
For all practical purposes, you can fire aimed shots almost as fast with a pump action. Ban those too? The law is 5 shots before you have to reload. I think that is reasonable. If you think banning semi't would somehow make it safer I think you are fooling yourself. Accidents are nearly always the result of irresponsible people behind the gun and not the gun itself. IMO an idiot with a muzzle loader is more dangerous than a responsible person with a semi.

quiksilver 09-26-2005 09:59 AM

IMO an idiot with a muzzle loader is more dangerous than a responsible person with a semi.
True, but an idiot with a semi is a heck of a lot more dangerous than an idiot with a bow or muzzle-loader. That's the point.Who needs a semi-auto rifle to kill a deer. Geez. No need for that.

I get so sick of hearing this "responsible person" argument. The fact is that not everybody is responsible. If you have to regulate everybody to reign in that narrow sect of the population, then that's the only reasonable way.

I'd rather everybody be forced tohunt with a bolt or pump action rifle just to keep the Bushmaster out of the idiots' hands. Too many loonie toons in the woods these days. I'd support bow only.

Sylvan 09-26-2005 10:16 AM

I'd support bow only.
So you would support the elimination of hunting with firearms! Well I guess that pretty much categorizes you as an anti doesn't it?

MDManiac 09-26-2005 10:17 AM

Spike....are you using Rifles in Southern Tier?

Rest of you...about the rifles thing...

How long has Northern Tier Been Rifles?????? Honestly. Very few problems up here, and yea, one can argue that it is less thick in northern tier than in southern, but that tells me that the shot has less of a chance of going astray...and the shots will be closer. All rifle users just need to know thier target and what's beyond.