Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 any vermonters on here probly not lol so small no deer >

any vermonters on here probly not lol so small no deer

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

any vermonters on here probly not lol so small no deer

Old 09-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default any vermonters on here probly not lol so small no deer

there are some deer but not very big you guys from pa would be like wow these deer are small but to us if we see a 8 point thats a nice deer lol
Old 09-13-2005, 10:19 PM

Default RE: any vermonters on here probly not lol so small no deer

Not sure what your post means ?...................
Here are my thoughts on Deer hunting in Vermont, since I live and hunt here..... VT Fish & Game has almost ruined the Deer herd. This year they have cut back
on Doe tags and added antler restriction ( at least 2pt on one side, with a point counting if it's 1inch or better) . ABOUT TIME !
In a Few hunting zones no Doe's can be shot at all. Hunting in VT is about money. No licence money, No Fish & Game Dept Money. They go hand in hand.
The Fish & Game Dept has lied about the Deer herd for the last few years and finally got caught. They would say the Deer Herd is in good to great shape, get the
out of State deer hunters money and offer Doe season during Black powder if you got drawn at the $10.00 application fee. Knowing damn well that most of Doe tags would go unfilled.
I hunt in Zone B and have good farm land/ woods to hunt on. I shoot a buck about every other year in Vt. Dressed weight on the last 3 bucks I shot in Vermont were 2004 @162lb 7pt , 2002 @ 165lb 4pt, 1999 @ 136lb 6pt
Your Right if want to shoot good scoring Rack Bucks to skip Vt, however every year a few good ones are shot. Hopefully in a few years we will have a good stable herd, with more decent bucks in it.
What's the dressed weight of your last three bucks shot in Pa ?
Old 09-14-2005, 02:31 PM

What about the problem of poaching? I read an article on it a few years back and F&G estimates that as many deer are taken illegally as legally in a calendar year. Of course, that could just be an excuse. It just seems that regulating sport hunters won't do any good if people shoot whatever they want whenever they want anyway.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:38 PM

Amen Little Magnum! A bad situation was made worse when they had that bad winter about 5 years back. Some estimates had a 50% winter kill. They should have made some tough decision right then and we would be over the hump by now.

The F&G Dept has always underestimated the impact of poaching on managing the heard.

All of that said, having lived out of VT for a few years now, I can't wait to get out on those ridges up north every year. It would be nice to go hunting and see some deer for a change.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:44 AM

I believe miss-management has done the most damage to the the Vt Deer herd. All States have poaching, some are real problems. I don't believe Vt has real big poaching problem. VT Fish &Game has raised fines for big game violations up to $1000.00.....You get caught, shooting a doe $1000 fine.[/align]1st of all, no one should be allowed to carry a rifle/shot gun in the woodsduring Rifle Deer season without a valid hunting license and DeerTag.[/align]Deer hunting season is Deer season. Not take my gun for walk and maybe I will shoot a coyote. Temptation to shoot another deer can be too great, for some. This is a law that Vt Fish & Game needs to pass. Vt is taking steps in the right direction, I just wish they would take bigger steps. [/align]If your house is on fire do you take baby steps getting out ?[/align][/align][/align]
Old 09-15-2005, 08:05 AM

In some ways, I would even like laws that put small game hunting on hold during the rifle season. Scratch that. What I would really like is for people to show some restraint and courtesy during deer season and for all hunting seasons for that matter. Last year on opening weekend I was hunting in the former champion lands, and the woods would periodically erupt with gunfire. Eventually, I encountered one of the hunters and asked what all the shooting was about. He told me that he had been blasting away at red squirrels. Not to tramp on anyone's freedom, but it just seems a little inconsiderate to be blasting away at vermin while others in the woods are actually trying to hunt deer. If you're that bored, go home and watch TV.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

I think there is a ton of poaching still going on in VT and most of the authorities are turning a blind eye to it. The fines should me enough to make poachers find another way to break the law. Mess with F&W and you go to jail. But that will never happen. They only slap their wrist and take away their license for a few years. That doesn't matter because they will still hunt. I am a native Vermonter and have hunted the same areas all my life. Good hunting is mostly gone due to a diminished deer herd and loss of habitat. That is why I now hunt the big woods of either Maine or NH, and New York.I still hunt VT for a few days but it is mostly a chance to get together with my brothers at camp.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:03 PM

I don't think poaching is that big of a problem here. I think alot of factors have a bigger impact on our herd. Coyotes, bear, dogs foxes all have a big impact on the fawn crop. When deer # are high so are the predators. 1 bad winter will do more damage to deer than to predators....so come spring we have a imbalance of deer to predator......including hunters in the fall. The only thing we can control is the hunter and what they take.
I think that when people say it is about the money they are correct.
Not all F+W fault....until the state starts to fund the department it's always going to be about the money!!!!! Hunting license sales should stay for HUNTING purpose ONLY. Find another way to fund the bird watching and leaf peeping. This would take some of the money problems away.

The rules now are at least a start in the right direction. We need more bucks in the population to breed the does that are going unbred. I don't care what the state says the buck/doe ratio isit's not 1/3 it's more like 1/5or6. No doe zones are great, but they need to redo the zones. Banning baiting is the biggest improvment. It has gotten way out of hand. What deer that were out there were all bedded around the bait pile and didn't have to move. When deer don't have to look for food they are not visable.

So I guess for all the complaining about the present hunting conditions we do( myself included ) we should look forward to the future of deer hunting in VT and improve on the new rules as we go.
We can't change the past only learn from it........

G
Old 09-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Big G

I don't think poaching is that big of a problem here. I think alot of factors have a bigger impact on our herd. Coyotes, bear, dogs foxes all have a big impact on the fawn crop. When deer # are high so are the predators. 1 bad winter will do more damage to deer than to predators....so come spring we have a imbalance of deer to predator......including hunters in the fall. The only thing we can control is the hunter and what they take.
I think that when people say it is about the money they are correct.
Not all F+W fault....until the state starts to fund the department it's always going to be about the money!!!!! Hunting license sales should stay for HUNTING purpose ONLY. Find another way to fund the bird watching and leaf peeping. This would take some of the money problems away.

The rules now are at least a start in the right direction. We need more bucks in the population to breed the does that are going unbred. I don't care what the state says the buck/doe ratio isit's not 1/3 it's more like 1/5or6. No doe zones are great, but they need to redo the zones. Banning baiting is the biggest improvment. It has gotten way out of hand. What deer that were out there were all bedded around the bait pile and didn't have to move. When deer don't have to look for food they are not visable.

So I guess for all the complaining about the present hunting conditions we do( myself included ) we should look forward to the future of deer hunting in VT and improve on the new rules as we go.
We can't change the past only learn from it........

G
I agree with your summary Big G and I happen to hunt in your area. The winter kill there is substantial mostly because all the softwoods have been cut off and the really deep snow. I have owned my camp since 82' and there were plenty of winter yards all around my property. Now it is hardwoods and most of the deer are gone. It pushed me to hunt Steam mill Brook WMA and finally they are going to do some logging in the hardwoods there as evidenced by the flagging that appeared last year. The legal killing of problem deer at the tree farm in Stannard hurt most of that WM area. I am definitely in favor of the new regs and think the hunting will improve over time. Just got back from working at camp. The floor was getting bad and my 2 brothers and I ripped the old one out and will put in a new one Sunday.

Old 09-16-2005, 06:08 PM

CI, My brother has a camp and 22 acres that borders Steam mill brook up at Coles Pond. They have started logging last winter up there. I think in 3 years when the new growth starts back it will be very good hunting. The moose have done well up there thats for sure. We do have 2 moose permits for D2 so we are going to thin them out by 2.

Fontainekilling all those does put a hurting on the area thats for sure.Now the law has changedmaybe deer # will get back.....
we'll see.

G

Quick Reply: any vermonters on here probly not lol so small no deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.