Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

STRIKE!!!!!!

Old 09-03-2005, 08:45 PM

Default STRIKE!!!!!!

[]well it looks like im going to have a extra long labor day weekend this year. I just found out our teachers will be striking tuesday september 6. This isnt the first time either this will be the second strike in about 5 yrs. well at least i wont have to set in class every day waiting for the archery season to come in. I guesse i will miss going to machine shop but thats it.Archery should seem to come alot faster than if i was in school. the teachers must want more money or somthing and school will end at like the end of June wich will suck because our summer will be really short. But i wouldnt be suprised if someone throws something at the teachers wile there protesting. If you think a strike is cool because u dont go to school well its not because alot of vacation time is lost and Christmas vac will be like two or three days instead of two weeks. I just wish they would strike during the archery season.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: STRIKE!!!!!!

I have a real problem with teacher unions striking at the start of or during a school year. It comes at the expense of our children and the unions are holding them hostage cause they know this. If these unions must strike do so at the end of the school year and work hard to get it settled before the start of the new year. As a matter of fact it shoud be against the law to do so otherwise like it is with police unions
Old 09-04-2005, 02:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

HOME SCHOOL
Old 09-05-2005, 02:06 PM

I support the strike completely. My girlfriend's father is a teacher in PA. Their health care coverage was lessened and the cost for health care coverage went up, also their raise won't even cover a Cost of living increase. Basically, they took a pay cut, and got less medical coverage, and they have to pay more money for it. I say strike until it gets resolved. Teachers are one of the few people that make a daily impact in our kids lives, don't you think that they deserve a little respect?
Old 09-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

first and formost i will not turn this into a political debate but.... in my most humble opinion this problem should not be taken out at the expence of children/young adults learning.

for the past 20 years... everybody has known that a teacher for the most part gets the dirty end of the stick(no it aint right but it is the fact)

my aunt has taught in the auburn school district since 1988 and still feels that most kids do not get the type of education that they deserve(not to be confused with state guide lines) she also feels that teachers do not get the type of pay that others with high priority jobs recive.

long story short... striking will not benifit the children/young adults.... it will only hamper them.

sorry about the ramble but imho no good will ever come from teachers going on strike.

Old 09-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Personally I could never strike because of the financial situation I am in right now. However, everything Tom said is true. We are currently working without a contract in the hope that situations such as this get resolved amicably over time.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

what district do you teach in, PAB?
Old 09-06-2005, 10:47 AM

Wish my health care was paid for or even substantially paid for........
Old 09-07-2005, 03:44 AM

Everyone is trying to paint strikers as bad people who don't care about the children. Well, I don't want to sound cold or calloused, but whatever happened to looking out for number one? I'm not talking about the teachers looking out for themselves, but I am talking about the teachers looking out for their own children. It's hard enough to put food on the table these days without someone screwing around with your benefits. I don't want this to turn into a polictical debate either, so I will just say what I have to say, and I will drop it after that.

If you are not happy with your work situation, within reason, you have to work to change it. The teachers aren't the only ones that are "taking away from our childrens' education". The school system could just as easily give the teachers what they deserve and the strike would never take place to begin with. It takes two to tango.

I'm done with this debate. It hits a little too close to home for me to look at it without bias anyway. If anyone wants to share their point of view they can email me or PM me. I'm done riling things up on the message board.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

This months Readers Digest has a story about teachers .Here in PA 25% of our teachers failed the statcompetency test.With tenure none can be fired. In the real word if you don't like your job,not satified with the pay or don't like the benefits you find a better job.Teachers are going to get payed for 185 days per year ,they do not loose a cent when they go on strike.Everyone thinks its nice to go to Wal- mart and shop for Chinese made goods because they are cheap,maybe we should look in to some Chinese teachers.

Quick Reply: STRIKE!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.