Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Pickin your favorite >

Pickin your favorite

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pickin your favorite

Old 08-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pickin your favorite

Well it sure would be nice this year if I could tag my buck by the start of turkey so I could concentrate on fall birds.Then after I got my turkey I could spend my time hunting grouse.And then there's bear.
OK I'm dreaming.The last couple of years I've hunted archery right up to or near the rut chasing that buck.I put this as my favorite but then don't get a chance to hunt fall turkey or grouse as much as I like.What to do what to do,so many choices but that's a good thing.
Anywaydo you guys find yourself in the same shoes as me or are you pretty much done if you fill your archery tags?
The last two years we had a good amount of turkeys in the area but I spent all my time on stand.I'm thinking about turkey in the morning this year and bow in the evening.Unless of coarse I get lucky early.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pickin your favorite

im the same way germain. turkey hunting is my all time fav. thing to do. and it was a big reason why i never took up archery hunting. but 4 years ago i gave in and got a bow. now i love it. ive never gotten a deer w/ it yet but its so much fun. but i always find myself giving it up once turkey season comes in. a few years ago my dad hunted w/ his bow really hard and all he did was see turkey, so one morning he took the 12ga and what do ya know a huge 10 point walked up to him at 12yrds away.. LOL.. thats how it always happends..
Old 08-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

That just seems to be the way it always happens PA.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I'm hopeless! I cant think about hunting anything else while those bruiser bucks are chasing does. By the time I tag out or the season ends, I gotta do emergency repairs on the business and the marriage so turkeys and bears wind up taking a distant back seat!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:40 PM

I never got into turkey hunting, although I hear it is just as exciting as deer. I just can't see hanging up my bow even for a day to shoot a bird.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Only hunt deer .And here in special regs area i can hunt up to mid january with a gun for does.I have turkeys all over around here.Not enough meat to waste a bullit on for me. I have a 20 dollar bullit budget per year.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Deer902

I never got into turkey hunting, although I hear it is just as exciting as deer. I just can't see hanging up my bow even for a day to shoot a bird.
That's why you shoot them with your bow.......
Old 08-31-2005, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Anywaydo you guys find yourself in the same shoes as me or are you pretty much done if you fill your archery tags?
Good question. I turkey hunt, pheasant hunt and goose hunt in addition to deer. However, I pretty much filled both of my tags for the WMU I hunt in during archery yet I still went back out, without a bow, just so that I could hunt with my buddies. I enjoy the other types of hunting but every chance I get I want to be up 20 foot up a tree during archery season...tags or not. Now, once archery season is closed... that is an entirely different matter.

Speaking of which, I suggest less overlap between the seasons. That way everyone could get out for everything they want to.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

All the world stops in archery season. I do very much enjoy chasing turks, and bushytails, but they only get chased if I filled my buck tag and at least one or 2 doe tags.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:00 AM

I have the same issue as well. I have a bird dog that looks at me like she's going to destroy my house every time I leave with my bow in my hand. I have found ahunting day like this leaves me really satisfied-

[ul][*]From 0 dark thirty till an hour or 2after sunrise sitting in a duck/goose blind with my buddies and a dog[*]Once the dew dries a bit hitting the grouse and woodcock cover till a late lunch[*]After putting up the dog, grabbing the bow and sitting an evening sit on stand[/ul]
I find I sleep REAL well after days like this. I absolutely lovedeer hunting and do it every chance I can get, but hunting birds and bears as well as other crittersmakes me enjoy the entire hunting season so much more.

Quick Reply: Pickin your favorite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.