Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Experiment

Old 08-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Experiment

I cut some trees in about a 50x50 yard opening.This was two years ago.Sunlight hits this spot now in a good part of the afternoon.Bushes,oaks,berries,maples,cherry,and other lush green growth has come in.The deer love it.Now if you go just a couple of yards into the shade there's basically nothing but ferns.Let the sun in and it will come.New growth that is.
The bottom line is you can kill the deer off completely and without sunlight nothing will grow.Open up the canopy and you'll get new growth.If you get a chance try this experiment on your land.
I have no doubt the browse issue has been over rated.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Experiment

Germain, your a reasonable guy so I have a question for you and I trust you'll give fair consideration as to whether or not the reduced deer herd over the past two years also has something to do with that regeneration?

Could it be that both things need to happen?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our herd was definately reduced BT.At the beginning of HR it was rated at 38 DPSM.I'd take a guess and say it's been reduced to about 15 DPSM.I know the area very well so I'm probably pretty close on this estimate.There's an area nearby that always had great regen of white oaks in an opening compared to just a few yards away under the canopy.This occured before HR.
I do believe we needed some reductions but I also want to see areas that were heavily reduced to level out or in some cases a increase in the populations.I think this is important to our hunting heritage.
I should mention the land I'm referring to is woodlot/farms with the start of the big woods.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never really answered your question BT.
I think the herd needed reduced from the 38 DPSM for the benefit of the farmers in the area.Do I think the sunlight and herd reduction worked hand in hand with the regen?The reason I would say no is because I saw plenty of regen in other parcels of this area even before HR.In my previous post the white oaks I mention is an example.But I'll also say we're in an area that has been stripped mined and is being farmed so there is plenty of food.I do think sunlight is the main factor for our area.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:35 PM

I conducted the same experiment in Luzerne Co. in the early 1990's when we had 40 DPFSM. I clearcut a couple of acres of red and chestnut oak for firewood. After a few years I had excellent regeneration while in the adjacent forest there was little if any understory and one could easily see for over 100 yds. It ws obvious that the lack of sunlight was the factor limiting regeneration, not the deer.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are some fenced in areas on state forest in southern 2g.The ones that were actually clearcut and let sun in have regen inside and out.They can eliminate the deer but without sunlight there will be little if any new growth.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

i agree w/ you germain. this past winter we had a very bad ice storm in a big section of where i hunt. the thing is there is like a line of where this storm took place.. one place is like nothing happend and another is like a hurricane went through it.. well my dad and i took a long walk this past sunday and wow the area that the trees were down and the sunlight is hitting i saw lots of regrowth, but on the other side where the storm didnt hit, the regrowth wasent as much..
Old 08-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

And that was a serious ice storm!Tried grouse hunting the next day.Didn't work out too good with all those trees down and ice everywhere.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do I think the sunlight and herd reduction worked hand in hand with the regen?The reason I would say no is because I saw plenty of regen in other parcels of this area even before HR.In my previous post the white oaks I mention is an example.But I'll also say we're in an area that has been stripped mined and is being farmed so there is plenty of food.I do think sunlight is the main factor for our area.
That makes sense. All the more reason that the number one lingering problem is DMU's that are too big and being managed with the one size fits all approach.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree BT and hopefully I can post some pics of the areas I'm talking about.Been so busy doing other things I keep forgetting.

Quick Reply: Experiment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.