Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Bucks sheddin velvet already????? >

Bucks sheddin velvet already?????

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Bucks sheddin velvet already?????

Old 08-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bucks sheddin velvet already?????

Had a guy I know (he buys a license but I wouldnt call him a hunter) tell me he had three bucks under his apple tree and two had already shed their velvet. I'm having a tough time buying his story. Of course, another "expert heard the conversation and said that'll happen when the summers are hot" Yeah, right!!

Anyone else seen even one buck with hard antlers yet? I could maybe believe one freak but two?
Old 08-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bucks sheddin velvet already?????

I saw 6 last night and all still had velvet. At work the bucks in the local herd are still in velvet as well. No signs of shedding yet.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

I highly doubt his story too. I'd say that the bucks still have at least 3 weeks to go before the first ones will start polishing their antlers up. There's a whole lot of those so-called "experts" out there...the only thing that you can believe from most of them is that the have a whole lot of BSand are more than willing to spread it around to anyone who willlisten[:'(].
Old 08-06-2005, 02:00 PM

Last weeks pictures still showed them in velvet.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

We just got back our pictures from the stealthcam. Most of the pictures were of bucks and all still in velvet. Even looks like they have about another month of growth yet to go. I wouldn't doubt there are a few deer already shedding the velvet, hell anything is possible, but I wouldn't put money on it. If a buck dropped their last years antlers early I guess it's possible they are ready to shed the velvet about now.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

A little early I think. I dont know though.Have not seen a buck yet this year. I did see a doe last week.Only deer i seen in months.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:31 PM

end of august beginning of september they shed the velvet. they are shedding their summer coats now!
Old 08-07-2005, 05:33 PM

most likely they had moss on there racks
Old 08-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I saw one last night who was in the process of shedding. He had some torn velvet hanging from his main beams. All of his tips were cleaned and still bloody-brown.
His points were short and stubby, probably rounded off from rubbing while the antlers were still spongy.

I saw over 30 other bucks who had not began to shed.

He may have been in an accident, or had an infection causing him to rub it off early. I've read that sometimes external factors (injuries, diseases, malnutrition, etc.) cause bucks to shed velvet early and does to go into estrus early.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

My father told me that he saw some rubs last week in Bradford County PA. I will be going down in 2 weeks to finish a last minute food plot and will check out there *rubs*.

Quick Reply: Bucks sheddin velvet already?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.