Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Save Pennsylvania Pheasant Hunting >

Save Pennsylvania Pheasant Hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Save Pennsylvania Pheasant Hunting

Old 07-26-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Save Pennsylvania Pheasant Hunting

Pheasantspa.org - The Pennsylvania Game Commission has cut the pheasant propagation program by 50% to 100,000 birds statewide. Please come tohttp://www.pheasantspa.org to read more about it and sign our petition to save this important program.

Brian
Old 07-26-2005, 05:44 PM

Default RE: Save Pennsylvania Pheasant Hunting

Save?? Program has already been cut. Petition it to try and get a pheasant stamp.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

T- your right it has been cut. but i could be reading it wrong but i think the petition is for the stamp. but i could be wrong.. im getting a bird dog in a few weeks and i would buy a pheasant stamp, i hope they do it. do you see anything wrong w/ a stamp??
ORIGINAL: T_in_PA3

Save?? Program has already been cut. Petition it to try and get a pheasant stamp.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:53 AM

I grew up during the heyday of pheasant hunting in PA. Things aren't the same now. If we learned one thing about the decline of pheasants, it should have been that without habitat, you don't have pheasants. Quail also. Habitat is everything to wildlife. Farming practices have changed, and the land that used to support hundreds of pheasants doesn't support a field mouse now. Stocking pheasants makes little sense, as does stocking trout. Everyone wants it done, but few are willing to pay what it actually costs. I would buy a pheasant stamp if the money went to habitat improvement. A good start would be to get rid of the farmers on state gamelands and only mow the fields one time a year. This is the way soil bank lands were managed back in the sixties.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:26 AM

Only problem with stamps of any kind is the complaining people have about paying for them. I don't have a problem with it. From what I read the petition is to show support for the stamp. patrkyhntr makes alot of sense. Things are definately not what they used to be for pheasant hunting.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

some really good points there.. it would be nice to see a pheasant turnaround though.. i cant wait to get my puppy (aug 18th)
Old 07-31-2005, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the Pa. Game Commission isn't bringing in any revenue for the money spent, the program will be cancelled as with the pheasants. I'm very surprised that there isn't a turkey stamp!