HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   WV Hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/106601-wv-hunters.html)

DougMD 07-25-2005 05:51 PM

RE: WV Hunters

I hunt in Grant County, where we've seen a decline in deer numbers since probably 2000. The numbers now are probably what they should be, but big bucks are scarce. Hopefully there will be more as we get decent acorn crops and fewer doe tags. We had two years in a row with zero acorns before this past fall, so my hopes are high for an increase in quality.

Pro-Line 07-25-2005 09:28 PM

I hunt DougMD's land when he's not there. LOL

Actually, I hunt in Braxton county. Our numbers are down...but OK. Not what they were, but we seem to have a few nice bucks left.

bspencer 07-25-2005 09:38 PM

the last couple years have been very disappointing for me in Nicholas County.......... first two years ive had to ever hunt the 2nd week of rifle season...... ...well i passed up a spike year before last soone of mybro in laws could get it as his first deer

the doe population was waaaaaaaaay down last year........ Nicholas county had a permit only doe season for the past two years and really thinned them out......

about 4-5 years ago I was seeing on average 4-5 different bucks a day during rifle season and most were 6 points and bigger..............hopefully with this years good crop of apples and blackbeeries they will be back....... plus the oats and clover i planted on some of my shooting lanes in the woods should help keep them in the area

wvdeer4u 07-26-2005 01:44 AM

My name is Dave and I hunt mainly in Brooke County. I hunt in Wheeling and Weirton in the city hunts also. I got permission to hunt a farm in Ohio last year and that is where I spent my time hunting last year and will again this year. They got rid of all of our butchers for the needy up here so we can't kill as many deer and give them away so I will just go for one or two big deer in Ohio.

Rem1100 08-01-2005 05:29 AM

lemme see....Hardy,Berkeley,Jefferson,Morgan on a reg basis.... Pendelton/Pocahontas/Greenbriar when I can... Tucker/Mineral/Hampshire when invited... have hunted 27 of the 55 Cos.(last count)

WVHunter129 08-01-2005 06:16 AM

Rem1100,

You cover a pretty good bit of nice territory to hunt! I also hunt Greenbrier Co, but only during buck season, sometimes a doe season or two, but buck season diffenently.

Most of my other hunting is right here in Fayette Co.

Rem1100 08-02-2005 05:21 AM

ORIGINAL: WVHunter129

Rem1100,

You cover a pretty good bit of nice territory to hunt! I also hunt Greenbrier Co, but only during buck season, sometimes a doe season or two, but buck season diffenently.

Most of my other hunting is right here in Fayette Co.

I love my home state, and hate seeing what's happening to her. As for the areas, mostly public ground..some private farms, but mostly areas that anyone can hunt. It was better when you didn't have to worry about 4 wheelers tearing up the fire trails..but that's another issue. About the only area of the state I haven't hunted yet, is the Northern Panhandle around Weirton... or the counties around Parkersburg.... soon,tho!

huntinwv 08-02-2005 07:36 AM

There is lots of public land huntin in the southern counties. Its bow only. Its really not public, most of it is owned byPocahontas Land Co. This company doesn't allow you to lease land, they say its open for everyone to hunt. The reason I know this is because my buddy and I tried to lease about 1000 acres couple of years ago and that was the response we got. Also, you can hunt onSunday.

For a small fee I'll point you in the right direction...LOL

BolognaSniper 08-03-2005 08:53 AM

I hunt my own land in Berkly county, a little in Jefferson county ( getting a little crowded there for me ) and on a freinds land in Hampshire. Mostly my own land , I have now 3 stands set up so it makes it nice to have my morning coffee , walk out my back door , walk a bout 4-5 minutes and im there. Makes it conveinent when i get those mid morning poop pains, Im not geeting any younger ya know.

ken3 08-16-2005 04:28 PM

I come back home and hunt in Boone County every Thanksgiving.