Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA hunting Lic.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:57 PM

Default PA hunting Lic.

[:'(]Went to get my hunting license and was told and shown the new law that said everybody will have to have a social security number . this is a federal law or as I see it as away to know who has guns and who doesn't. I guess everybody that hunts or traps will have to worry about Identity theft thanks to the goverment [:@][:@]

Old 07-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA hunting Lic.

I believe it's a way to keep someone from buying multiple licenses or tags illegally.
Addresses change, names can change or be altered or used differently......social security numbers are unique and do not change.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm curious ,do they actually want to see your SS # ,or just ask to have you write it on the application ????
Old 07-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Not so sure about it being a way to track who is buying or has guns because on the Federal form # 4473 (purchasing a firearm) your social security numer is optional. It may be a way of PA tracking Deadbeat Dads orconvicted criminals who are not suppose to bear arms. Has anyone placed a call to Game Commission ih Harissburg and asked why a SS# is not needed to get a license?
Old 07-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not so sure about it being a way to track who is buying or has guns because on the Federal form # 4473 (purchasing a firearm) your social security numer is optional. It may be a way of PA tracking Deadbeat Dads or convicted criminals who are not suppose to bear arms. Has anyone placed a call to Game Commission ih Harissburg and asked why a SS# is not needed to get a license?
It isn't a way to track firearms ownership. It is a 'deadbeat dad' harnessing tactic. Your SSN is no longer optional on 4473....just bought a new rifle on Friday and it is now mandatory. This has been discussed here and at a greater length on huntingpa.com. It isn't a PGC thing either as some would make you believe, it's a federal and state mandate.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:36 AM

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=460&q=158672
Old 07-12-2005, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Jason N

Your SSN is no longer optional on 4473....just bought a new rifle on Friday and it is now mandatory. .
I don't want to argue with you but I am a firearms dealer in CT and as you can see on the #4473 is still listed as opitional. I think it is a PA thing.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/4473/
Old 07-12-2005, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Jason N

As you can see by T_in_PA link it is a Federal law that only affects purchasing License not firearms. In CT we do not ask for SS# the State issues a list to every agent that sell Fishing, Hunting License and if a person is prohibited ( for whatever reason) from getting a license he will be on that list
Old 07-12-2005, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got mine at Wal-Mart,they just asked...
Old 07-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't want to argue with you but I am a firearms dealer in CT and as you can see on the #4473 is still listed as opitional. I think it is a PA thing.
The way it was explained to me is as follows: It used to be optional and the feds changed the regs and is no longer an option but mandatory. If this isn't correct I have to take the blame because I didn't even question it when I filled it out. Frankly, I don't really mind using it for what I feel are worthy causes, but somethings, like cell phones, internet access, etc. I feel are crossing the line.

As you can see by T_in_PA link it is a Federal law that only affects purchasing License not firearms. In CT we do not ask for SS# the State issues a list to every agent that sell Fishing, Hunting License and if a person is prohibited ( for whatever reason) from getting a license he will be on that list
That's the way it used to be(maybe still is?) in PA. I knew the federal law mandating the SSN on licenses, but was unaware of any for firearms purchases. I haven't bought a gun from a dealer in about 6 years until last Friday....I just assume they knew what was going on and let it at that....shame on me.

Quick Reply: PA hunting Lic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.