Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Where did the Deer go? >

Where did the Deer go?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Where did the Deer go?

Old 07-08-2005, 12:47 PM

Default RE: Where did the Deer go?

I just remebered that last spring I was down there fishing in the park- a remote part not near the camping areas and I found a big pile of fresh deer skins. In april after a long hard winter these hides looked pretty good, so I could only assume the worst! IMO everyone hunts in centralized areas like where they spotted the big-un with the light the night before. That does not really matter either way because I can then go to other areas and expect to see no one.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, PA has many more hunters and public land than MD
Jason--I no doubt concur that there are far more hunters in PA than MD, but PA is also MUCH LARGER in total land mass which probably makes the "hunter density" work out to something similar. I've heard and seen both sides of the ARR argument and I understand both sides. However, I think that in the long run, the result will be more big bucks out there to harvest. I'd like to see MD impose some sort of ARR regs so the little ones get the chance to get some size to them before they get blasted.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:41 AM

Wny Hunter,

I am a regular at Alleghany State Park and I own land just a few miles away from the park. I to have noticed a decline in the deer population in the park. I been talking to quite a few people on the subject from park rangers to fellow hunters and it appears the 2003-2004 winter which was extremely cold had the most impact. Compound that with deep snows which lasted late into the spring that year and they had a high winter kill mortality. The high doe take in the park the during 2003 season also had a significant factor. The park is a separate DMU by itself and as it appears now that DMU will not be issuing any doe permits this year. My land is about 4 miles from the park in DMU9R and it was hit just as hard but didn't have quite the loss as the park. In 9R there is a less than 1 in 3 chance of getting a doe permit for 2005.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/license/dmpchances.html
Old 07-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: lost horn

ORIGINAL: livbucks

The doe hunters have reduced the herd, especially in any state park lands. My neighborand his 2 sons took 15 deer last year, with bonus tags. Unfortunately, many were button bucks. I hope they truly consume that which they have taken. Seems like more than one household could make use of in a year.
I had neighbors that did the same as yours for a couple of years but last year they came back empty handed and complaining that they didn't see any deer, wonder why?
Ditto.... My wife's cousin, hunts with his son and a buddy. For at least three years all three of them have taken theapproach "brown and down". They killyearlings, button bucks, does, spikes(his son is a youth sohe can tag any small buck). Then last year they were all complaining that they didn't see any deer and wonderingwhy....They dont want to hear the fact that they are allowed to pass on a deer and dont have to shoot everything they see. It's hunter's (and i use that term loosely in this case) like this that combined with the two week doe season just putting a major impact on the deer population in PA.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

The doe hunters have reduced the herd, especially in any state park lands. My neighborand his 2 sons took 15 deer last year, with bonus tags. Unfortunately, many were button bucks. I hope they truly consume that which they have taken. Seems like more than one household could make use of in a year.
I beg to differ, I eat venison 3-4 times a week and my family would easily eat 15 or more deer, and probably in alot less than a year. Whether you agree or disagree with the amount of doe permits given, I don't think any blame lays with fellow hunters who happen to be more successful in filling their freezers...

Old 07-12-2005, 11:36 AM

Yes killing and eating 15 deer per household is not to blame.

Yes that makes a lot of sense.

14 deer * 50 lbs / 52 weeks = 13.5lbs per week.

They probably threw away 10 deer.

I have seen the slaughter and I also have seen the deer laying at the landfills the day after the season. I am personally buying every tag I can for my WMU and no doe will be tagged.

Last year I had 3 doe tags None filled except for a great 9-pointer.

Old 07-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chip, way to get your attitude across with your first post.... And just because you don't kill many deer why knock those who do by saying they waste the meat? And have you reported the deer carcasses at the landfill to the DNR, or did you decide not to take any action.....

I guess it doesn't matter, right? I mean, you "got you buck" last year, and thats the only important thing.....