Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Bear Killed in Jersey >

Bear Killed in Jersey

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Bear Killed in Jersey

Old 06-08-2005, 04:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bear Killed in Jersey

. http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/sussex...410.xml&coll=1
Old 06-08-2005, 06:27 AM

Default RE: Bear Killed in Jersey

Yet one more reason to dismiss the claims of animal activist and to reinstate the NJ bear hunt. If the popultaion is kept unchecked this is going to become the norm until the bear numbers are reduced.

I wonder if Margo Spilotras is one of those bunny huggers who opposes the bear hunt. I can only hope so.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:54 AM

Sorry, but I hope that they don't allow bear hunting for a little while longer. If there are more cases like this, then it will really be tough for anti-hunting morons to say that they are just cute. Has anyone ever heard of a wild boar being friendly? Did you know that a bears closest relative(aside from other bears of course) is the pig? 200-600lbs boars with claws, fangs, and free reign of an entire state. Wow, thats fun. All I've ever heard about boars is that they attack on sight with their tusks which just happen to be groin level(yeouch). Black bears it should be noted are the most aggressive bear(atleast in North America), how many people against hunting them know that they are actually more dangerous than grizzlys? What a great animal to have go through your garbage like a raccoon.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:25 AM

Black bears it should be noted are the most aggressive bear(atleast in North America), how many people against hunting them know that they are actually more dangerous than grizzlys?
I have to disagree whole heartedly with this statement. It's good for argument but holds little merrit.
http://www.bear.org/Black/Articles/H...ack_Bears.html
It remains a fact that wild black bears have killed nearly three dozen people across North America this century
Also: http://www.bearstudy.org/Research/Update_2002-09-21.htm

Standard statistics for each interview:

The baby was the 50th killing by a black bear in the last hundred years across North America.

Most killings were in northern Canada and Alaska where bears have little contact with people. Only two, including this one, were in the eastern US where bears and people mingle the most.

There are about 750,000 black bears in North America with less than one killing per year.

According to the Department of Justices in the US and Canada, about one person in 16,000 commits murder each year. For grizzly bears, about one in 50,000 kills someone. For black bears, it is less than one black bear in a million.

For each person killed by a black bear across North America, there are 13 people killed by snakes, 45 by dogs, 120 by bees, 250 by lightning, and 60,000 homicides.
It's unfortunate that black bears get a bum reputation. Grizzly bears are by their nature more agressive and polar bears are the sole mamal of North America that is above the human on the food chain.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Grizzly's are the ones to fear more than black bears for sure.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd like to see that 400lb sow!
Old 06-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

RE: Bear Killed in Jersey (in reply to DougMD)

I'd like to see that 400lb sow!
I'd like to see her too....Just not in my kitchen!!!!!!!!! lol
Old 06-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I seen a 500 lb sow at walmart today
Old 06-08-2005, 05:33 PM

Sorry but kills are no grounds for determining aggressive behavior. Black bears are(regardless of what you have found in one article) more apt to attack than a grizzly, simply because they see you almost as an equal. Grizzlys know that you aren't ****, but could accidentally kill you(being capable of in some cases reaching 1700lbs will do that) while attempting to show you whos boss. Black bears are relentless once deciding to attack, playing dead only makes things worse since they are scavengers, and now see you as a food source(this is true). Black bears can be scared away by threatening behavior on your part; shouting, throwing rocks NEAR not at, and banging things together to scare it away. A grizzly would be encouraged to mess you up if you acted like this. Not aggressiveness simply confidence. Oh and kills compared to lightening? Everyone is susceptable to lightening, what percentage of the American/even global population ever comes within 100 yards of a bear in their life? I'm from northern Vermont, if you live near the ocean then you need to respect sharks- the guy up in saskatchewan needs to watch for brown bears, and all I need to worry about are black bears, moose, and people. Also, many of the guys on this board are *******s and hunt coyotes- did you know that THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A DOCUMENTED CASE OF A HEALTHY COYOTE KILLING A HUMAN IN NORTH AMERICA!!! Considering that they are no different from stray dogs and that people hunt them for 'sport', I hope that coyotes kill record starts going up.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:36 PM

ORIGINAL: qiqazz

Grizzlys know that you aren't ****
I can't believe that... a sight about killing animals for food or(sickeningly) for sport, can't handle the 's' word. Now thats what I call maturity.

Quick Reply: Bear Killed in Jersey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.