Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 bald eagle shooting >

bald eagle shooting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

bald eagle shooting

Old 06-04-2005, 10:34 PM

Default RE: bald eagle shooting

ORIGINAL: PA GOBBLER

mossehornhunter- yes turkey was in season but even so your not aloud to shoot turkeys on the roost..

that is incorrect. nothing says you can't. it just isnt very sporting.

even if someone was turkey hunting, how could you mistake an eagle for a turkey? then to shoot it and leave it? sounds like someone knew it wasnt a turkey int he first place.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:40 PM

ORIGINAL: moosehornhunter

MK....also, just to back up my point, I just looked into it and it is NOT illegal to shoot a turkey off the roost in Penn. Therefore, it is possible that this whole thing was just a mistake on a turkey hunters part. If the bird that was in the tree had turned out to be a turkey when it hit the ground, it would have been a completely legal kill. Thats why I'm saying, lets just wait and see here.....I have a feeling that this was all just a mistake. IMO If my hunch is correct, i hope they never catch the guy, and I hope he learned from his mistake, as well as all of us.
turkeys look a lot different than eagles. you could tell, unless you were a complete moron. and don't you think that if you shot a "turkey" off the roost, you wouldnt go up to it, think "oh, sh*t, i shot an eagle"then go turn it in?. if it was a mistake, the guy shouldve turned it in as a mistake kill.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:58 PM
Typical Buck

even though it doesnt say you cant shoot them off of roost it would be hard to call to them when they are right above you and then shoot them.. i still want to ask the PGC about that to make sure... this is all i can find about this subject ..

(e) Penalties. - A violation of this section relating to:

(1) Threatened or endangered species is a misdemeanor of the second degree

(1) For each endangered or threatened species, a fine of $1,000 and forfeiture of the privilege to hunt or take game or wildlife anywhere within this Commonwealth for a period of ten years. .

(3) Unlawful to hunt spring gobbler by a method other than calling.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:18 AM

ORIGINAL: PA GOBBLER
(3) Unlawful to hunt spring gobbler by a method other than calling.
well, all you have to do is sit under the roost and call once. whether you get an answer or not isnt important. by doing that you have used the calling method.

p.s.- i dont hunt this way, as i find it very un-sportsman like, and not enough fun.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:36 AM

OK ... Does it matter if you can or you can't shoot a turkey in the roost??? If the book said you can then you can, but is it fair chase? For me I don't think so. If your not 100% sure of your target you SHOULDN'T shoot at it. If you just shoot at things Then YOU SHOULDN'T have the right to HUNT. We as Hunters don't need this, We have the Anti's on are backs everyday and this is something they will use againest us. The Person or Persons that KIlled the Eagle should have there hunting rights taken away and The Police should go to their house and take ALL THEIR GUNS and BOWS. A $10,000.00 fine and there name(s) sent to every State telling what they have done. I'm Sorry but I know of a 10year old that can tell the differents between a Eagle and a turkey in a tree. If it was up to me .... I would Cut off their SHOOTING FINGER.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:07 AM

I find it interesting how many people here have instantly taken the same position as the Animal Rights folks. Assumed a hunter shot the bird.

What part of the article points to a hunter as the cause of death?

"The eagle was found in Clearfield County near the Penn/Pike township line, just north of the Curwensville Dam in the vicinity of Kirk Street extension, Lumber City. Dusza noted that Wildlife Conservation Officers (WCOs) Dave Stewart and Chris Ivicic are investigating this incident and is asking the public for information about the person/persons responsible.

A concerned citizen reported finding the eagle to the Game Commission on Sunday, May 15. According to WCO Stewart, a necropsy determined that the eagle was killed with a shotgun between Tuesday, May 10, and Saturday, May 14, and died where it was shot."
Old 06-08-2005, 07:14 AM

I find it interesting how many people here have instantly taken the same position as the Animal Rights folks. Assumed a hunter shot the bird.

What part of the article points to a hunter as the cause of death?

"The eagle was found in Clearfield County near the Penn/Pike township line, just north of the Curwensville Dam in the vicinity of Kirk Street extension, Lumber City. Dusza noted that Wildlife Conservation Officers (WCOs) Dave Stewart and Chris Ivicic are investigating this incident and is asking the public for information about the person/persons responsible.

A concerned citizen reported finding the eagle to the Game Commission on Sunday, May 15. According to WCO Stewart, a necropsy determined that the eagle was killed with a shotgun between Tuesday, May 10, and Saturday, May 14, and died where it was shot."
Great point. It wouldn't surprise me if some extremeist anti "sacrificed" the bird in an assult on hunting. Just another tactic to spread anti hunting propaganda. Surely they'd give one eagle for their cause to save hundereds of little bunnies and deer.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:17 AM

Just don't see how someone could or would shoot an eagle - besides just to kill something - then I'd say that person needs to get his head checked.

I've seen a few bald eagles - adult and juvenile - if it was a hunter and he/she mistaked it for a turkey that person needs to turn in all his hunting equipment and stick with a camera.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Wirehair

i dont think much of anone was saying for sure it was a hunter. most of us meant that if it was a turkey hunter who shot it mistakenly for a turkey, he shouldnt be hunting. i dont think anyone ever said "it was a hunter". it could very well be someone else
Old 06-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

i dont think you will find too many antis in this area, its redneck central... i live about 20 min. from this place..
and yes, i dont think i said it was for sure a hunter.. it could have been anyone.. but it still doesnt make it right.. and i hope they get caught..

ORIGINAL: adams

Great point. It wouldn't surprise me if some extremeist anti "sacrificed" the bird in an assult on hunting. Just another tactic to spread anti hunting propaganda. Surely they'd give one eagle for their cause to save hundereds of little bunnies and deer.

Quick Reply: bald eagle shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.