Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NEED TO VENT!!!

Old 05-17-2005, 09:02 PM

Default NEED TO VENT!!!

The other mornin’ my girlfriend and I went out on her first turkey hunt. I want her to go out to see if she’s gunna’ like it befor we spend the time to get her involved and then find out she doesn’t like it… got there about 4:45 and walked about a half mile and I did some crow calls, had a couple crows come in so they did the works for me, few min. later I did some small quite yelps, nothing, few min. later I kicked it up a notch and yelped a bit louder, suuure enough there’s a couple gobbles about a 500 hundred yards away, so we took this quad trail and headed in front of them about 200 yards in the woods about 5 yards away from a field… took about 5 minits. to work the bird in the field, but took 20 min. to work the bird to me… nice bird too, long beard, the works, “shooter”. I need him closer though, he’s about 40 yards away and I no my Winchester 1300 can reach out there (have done it befor) but I want him closer... my girlfriend is going crazy… then the hen he was with took off plucking and the gobbler fluttered down looking skittish, im thinkin’ this bird seen something, and wants to take off, “now or never I said” took the shot and the bird flew off!!! Im astounded!! I got up and watch the bird fly acrossed the field and into the woods down below, something took my glance and there it was, some wood chuck moron was walkin’ away from the field dressed in camo… sure enough, that was a good reason those birds got weird, and wanted out of there. It just sucks that that dooshbag tried intercepting my bird I worked for. There should be an IQ test for hunting licenses!!!

BUUUT my girlfriend is hooked, along with bow season she is getting into after last years success.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEED TO VENT!!!

I know exactly how you feel, and been in those same type situations before. I can't stand other so-called turkey hunters that try to sneak on anothers bird. I guess sometimes a hunter may not realize someone is actually hunting that tom, or if its a hen. I've heard some darn good callers in the woods you'd swear was a hen, and some hens actually talking you'd swear were hunters. But if I hear hen calls I'll throw a crow call at them, and see if i get a response from another possible hunter. If so I move on. I also wish hunters would move to other woods if see someone alreadly parked there or know of another hunter in the area. Least thats what I do, unless I know the hunter in the area, and pretalk with them on who'll hit what sections for toms.
I was once working a bird about 95yds in from a small road. Its a old family farm. The tom was gobbling, and coming in. I could see his red head coming through the trees. I hear a vehicle stop out on the road, and suddenly yelp, yelp coming from the vehicle. Needless to say the tom gobbled back, so they called more. The tom turned, and headed towards the road, down a embankment so I wasn't going to get the shot I'd hoped for. I had a slight chance at his head through a tiny opening. I took it, and never touched him. He flew off, and I heard the vehicle take off as well. I was so friggen angry I wanted to find those idiots. But I knew that'd only end up in trouble, becasue I was so mad.
Had another time went to a spot I'd prescouted a nice bird on public land. Noone was there, so in I go. Well about 8:30am I find him, and working him slowly in. Again I spot his red head about 60yds out. He's slow moving, but coming. Suddenly I hear yelps on the other side of him, from way I originally walked in. First I think hen, then tell its not such good calling. I see the tom turn away. I crow called. But the idiot keeps calling. The tom shutup, and left the area. Niether got the shot. I was really heated. I looked around, and didn't find nobody. So I started to think again it was a hen. Until I get down to my truck, and there's another truck parked right next to me. I left a thank you note on his vehicle, telling him I hope I could return the favor someday for ruining my hunt, and spooking the tom. Dam some people are ignorant!!! [:'(]
Old 05-18-2005, 12:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thats illegal in Pa.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

i feel for ya man.. that sucks.. but i guess the good thing is least your girl is hooked now..
Old 05-18-2005, 08:09 AM

I have a diffrent take on you misfortune. What if that
dooshbag
was set up there while you were off trying to get a gobble. It's possible that he had roosted thse birds the night before and was already set up when you
took this quad trail and headed in front of them about 200 yards in the woods about 5 yards away from a field…
I can see being upset things didn't work out for you but that's hunting. To acuse this guy of being
chuck moron....tried intercepting my bird
MY bird. I get the biggest hoot out of that statement. Give me a break and get over it. Somewhere there is a guy telling a diffrent story about how he roosted some birds came back to hunt them and had some
dooshbag
come trotting up a quad trail and set up on the same free ranging birds he was set up on hunting.

You see there's always more then one way to look at things. Before you rant and rave look at the whole picture and see it may have been you intruding on someone else hunt. Unless you were hunting private land (which you didn't indicate you were) these things will happen.

Now that I've shared my $0.02, I wish you the best luck on your next quest for a bird.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:54 PM

adams.. good point... I should of made it clear, my family is the ONLY people allowed on the property... the night befor I made arrangements to make sure I was going to be the only one out of four people there.... also buckalley.. LOOOVE the love note you left on that dudes truck, people have allota’ nerve don’t they!... and PA gobbler... yeah buddy she’s was pumpin’… She was wispern’ "honey, shoot em shoot em”, and im like saying to my self I cant yet; she just didn’t no and I explained after words. It’s a good start for her, and that’s what it’s all about.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cardeer

Thats illegal in Pa.
is that right? very cool! WV should adopt that practice!! I've been short-standed myself... it's un-ethical, and un-sportsmanlike. And mostly when it happens, it's intentional.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Your experience is common place in South East PA. I have lived here for 2 yrs and will be moving in July. I have meet some outstanding idividuals here, but this place has to be the worst place I have ever seen for inconsiderate,rude, moron @$%^*hole hunters I have ever seen. I have hunted from Florida to Maine. I will be returning to Florida to hopefully stay. Early this month I had a guy set up 80 yds behind me calling non stop. I made it a point to let him know I was already there,him and his buddy refused to move. When I moved ,I walked right thru his set up speaking very loadly( using words most sailors are familiar with) and defying him to say anything about it. Probably not the smartest thing to do. Hang in there and best of luck to you. If your girlfriend likes to hunt she's a keeper!
Old 05-19-2005, 08:57 AM

Ahh, that tid bit of information makes a huge diffrence on how I look at the situation. Knowing it's private land it dosen't surprise me you're all fired up.

In NY dose your land need to be posted for a person to be considered a tresspasser. I know it differs from state to state. In both Maine and NH if the land isn't posted it's free game for people to enter without permission.

Regardless it sucks your hunt was disturbed. I deal with that a lot durring firearm season around my parts. I hunt mostly with my bow so I'm constantly being "bumped" by still hunters and drivers while I'm up in my tree. It's frusterating but there is little I can do to remidy the situation short of buying a tract of land of my own.

Good luck with the remainder of your season. It sounds like your woman is hooked and you've got some skill calling birds. I'm sure you'll connect soon.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:07 PM

She is a keeper!!!.. Adams, Here in New York, you dont need posted signs to consider tresstpassing. this part of the proporty wasent posted, but dosent matter, we'll be getting around to that this late summer. bow season and gun season or ML seaosn we dont have problems with at all.

Quick Reply: NEED TO VENT!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.