Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Earn a Buck In Ohio >

Earn a Buck In Ohio

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Earn a Buck In Ohio

Old 04-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Spike

Default Earn a Buck In Ohio

Would any of you Ohio Hunters Like to see a earn a Buck program here? If Not would you go with a program that a buck would need 6 points or more to be taken also have to have a min. 15" spread if your over the age of 21.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:37 AM

Default RE: Earn a Buck In Ohio

I always try to take a doe first anyway, so not sure it would matter much to me.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am for both .
The earn a buck would defintitly help bring the buck to doe ratio more in line .
The min 15 spread would help also but it should be age 18 not 21.
I try QDM where I live ,but the neibors are IF IT'S BROWN IT'S DOWN type of hunters.

Johnch
Old 04-09-2005, 02:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, but it's not up to me. The zone I live in just became a zone that could take a buck or doe the entire gun season. A while ago some people complained that gas in this country was to cheap and that it should cost $2.50 a gallon. I didn't care for their thinking either. If they wanted to pay that much let them. If you want to let some walk go ahead but don't tell everybody else they should do the same. It's the young and the stupid that run in front of cars and it's the insurance companies that influence the dnr. If we don't want our hunting to be affected like they are out west with the reintroduction of predators, the young and the stupid need to be taken care of by hunters. I hate to break it to everybody but the state is not here for us to create the perfect hunting paradise. Take care of the deer population or somebody will do it for you, (most likely with high powered rifles) by the hundreds and they won't care what they are.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:31 AM

I always hunt the does but i do think it would be a good idea unless you like just huntin does we get 3 this year
Old 04-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

There's absolutely no reason for that in Ohio. It's pretty pointless to even talk about. It's not going to happen, nor should it.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Spike

I think I would like to see more does taken. I love the meat from a doe. So I shot does. But I have seen to many folks just shot what comes along. But rules are not the ansawer I don't thank it should be a rule it sould be a mind set in hunters to let the little ones grow. There well always be those folks that well shot the first deer they see.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

M. Magis is right. There is not really a point for it in Ohio.

The B-D ratio is not out of whack...and there are still oodles of trophy bucks running around.

I've hunted states where you would see 75 deer in one day and ZERO bucks. There's a candidate for earn a buck.

With the season being either sex now, that takes care of the situation where everybody shoots a buck.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:22 AM

PRO is right there are a lot of mature bucks in Ohio i always try to get a doe or 2 in Oct for the freezer there are a lot of hunters who dont wait for a mature deer even the does i shoot are older unless im doing crop damage controll then i shoot all the does that way the bucks move to another area i was lucky last year i got to see some really nice bucks i didnt get a shot at any but boy were they nice im taking my camera next season