Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 What are you looking for in a bowshop? >

What are you looking for in a bowshop?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

What are you looking for in a bowshop?

Old 03-12-2005, 07:35 AM
Wit

Default What are you looking for in a bowshop?

We are opening up a bow shop this summer in New Lenox, Illinios. We were wondering from fellow hunters, what their ideal bow shop would be.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What are you looking for in a bowshop?

A shop that wants to help, no matter if you are spending $500- $1000 on a new bow/accessories or just looking for a inexpensive item.

Last year I bought a new Hoyt, the shop went out of there way when I was going to drop a chunck of $ . But a month later after shooting several hundred arrows I wanted to have the bow checked, like I have been told you should do with a new bow. They acted like they were to busy and didn't want to help, infact the guy said "This bow is new."
Another day I went in looking for a arrow spinner to check B-heads for wobble the guy said " They should be straight, I can spin it on my hand to check it. " No kidding, I don't want to check it on my hand I wanted a spin tester and there (B-heads) are not always straight on the arrow.

Treat everyone the same wether there spending $1000 or $10. You never know when they will or wont be back needing to spend more.

silbowhunter
Old 03-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Wit

Thank you for your reply. We agree with that strongly. All the bow shops around here have no customer service. So that will be our top priority. Where are you from?
Old 03-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would encourage you to visit Glisson's shop. Pay close attention to the "customer service" (or lack there of) and general disrespect for the folks who come in there willing to part with their hard-earned dollars. I think folks like Sonny gets some sort of a kick by making folks feel stupid (or atleast not as knowledgable as them).

Then, try to be the opposite of folks like Sonny. Be friendly. Be ACTUALLY INTRESTED in
#1. You, the customer (where your from, where you hunt, likes/dislikes)
#2. Respecting the customer and being very careful (tactful) of not making them feel stupid.
Be willing to educate the customer as much as they are WILLING TO BE educated. Offer
a little bit of info at a time and see how much more the customer is hungry for. (That is
the downfall of folks like Sonny. They like to take all they know and basically shove it
down (or up your ???) your throat all at once.
#3. Your bow/equipment. Shooting style. Preferences.
#4. Have a coffee pot going. It's nice and a good way to make folks feel welcome. It gives a
warm feeling to a shop and folks can stick around and talk over a cup. (I can't
remember the last time I had foks over at the house and didn't offer a cup of coffee.)

Notice that I listed the customer first, because that is the most important thing moving in and out of a bow shop. The customer carries the money in (and maybe out) of the shop.

Just my two cents. But I can guarantee you that if your shop doesn't get open til the summer of 2010, I'll be in there before I go into Glisson's place again.

I would also strongly encourage you to advertise in the Outdoor Notebook and get set up, well ahead of time for setting up a booth (a real nice one so you stand out) for National Hunting and Fishing Days at Silver Springs State Park in September. That would be a good place to get some real good exposure. You could sponsor the archery range at the event, too. Maybe some youth bows for door prizes or raffles. I say youth because OUR YOUTH is OUR FUTURE!

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 03-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

The porblem i have with my bowshop in town is he gets slopy and doesnt take his time putting arrows together, uses way to much glue, and when hes done will rubber band them together before they are even dry. yea i didnt go back there for any more arrows.

By the way how far is New Lenox from Springfield? i might want to take a little road trip
Old 03-13-2005, 04:46 PM

All these guys pretty much have it covered but a neat thing the shop here does is have a television with a hunting movie going the whole time and they are real nice too
Old 03-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Wit

Thank you so much for the reply. All your comments help us put together the ultimate bow shop!

Sincerely,

Buck Fever Archery
815-478-7423
Old 03-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Wit

Are new shop will be located off of Interstate 80 and Route 30 in New Lenox. We are approximately 5 - 10 miles east of Joliet. We will keep you updated and send you all the info you will need when things get going.

Sincerely

Buck Fever Archery
815-478-7423
[email protected]
Old 03-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Wit

Thank you so much for the reply. All your comments will help make our shop the ultimate bow shop. We will be opening this summer 2005. Call for info.

Buck Fever Archery
815-478-7423
Old 03-14-2005, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wit, is this shop going to be in an existing building or new construction? Either way, if you have or are going to have a fire sprinkler system in there and need any work on them, let me know I run a fire safety company in the area.

Uncle Matt (in IL)

Quick Reply: What are you looking for in a bowshop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.