Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Anbody hog hunted in Missouri?

Old 03-04-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Anbody hog hunted in Missouri?

Read about isolated groups of feral hogs in Missouri on DOC website. Has anyone attempted this? and, How hard is it? The info on the website seems to make it sound darn near impossible. Any comment, info would be great. Have a great weekend.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:34 PM

Default RE: Anbody hog hunted in Missouri?

Busch,, Yeah Ive been a few times, and I work with some guys who hunt them regularly. The website is right they are very hard to hunt, they wont tolerate ANY scent, sound or sight of people or anything to do with them. They usually have the best luck tracking them in the snow, and they can see them better then. They have also had some limited success baiting them but they seem to use it mostly at night, but one guy did happen to take one a few days ago near a pond around 6 am. There are lots of hogs in the area and they will really tear up some ground when they are fed in an area. The guys I know hunt them around the Lesterville area. And there is some government land in the area. Good luck anbd let us know if yoou have any luck.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:23 AM

Default RE: Anbody hog hunted in Missouri?

I've tried the do-it -yourself hog hunt in MO and it is not easy. I live around the Jefferson City area and to travel down where the hogs in south MO are for a one or two day hunt is difficult. You almost have to have a inside tip as to where they are at the given time you decide to go. The land is so vast and their patterns are so erratic its difficult. Don't get me wrong it can be done. The Wappapello Lake area has a good number of wild hogs and you can call the site manager at 573-778-5404 on the weekends and they will give you a heads up on where they are along with a map with outlined areas of most recent sitings Good Luck. If you just want to go hog hunting and want a good time check out www.blackmountainexotics.com and for the time and money you would probably spend chasing them around here in MO you can get one here. They are a first rate operation and cheap. They are only 5 hours from here in Jeff and are worth a look. They also cater to bowhunters and also have rams.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the Areas around Lake Wappapelo and other State Parks have Hogs but they have been trying to irradicate them as much as possible be it trapping or hunting them with dogs!The hard part is with so much private land the hogs disperse all over and its hard to find or eliminate the feral hogs.There are several local Hunters that get together and run dogs to track down the Hogs all over the different Towns,it seems the Wappapelo Area is thick with the Hogs,Greenville,Patterson,Piedmont,Clear Water Lake and so on is those areas where there's plenty of thick woods,rough terrain and plenty of different Rivers and Creeks for an endless water source!

We've even seen a few in our County and a few Feral Hogs have been killed when more Hunters are out in full force during Deer Season.One thing about the Hogs is that they can destroy a lot of land and they aren't very welcome or loved by Farmers,Land Owners and so on!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 06-07-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

I've looked into hog hunting in Mo., being it's next door to where I live, but the Missouri Department of Conservation really discourages it on their website. They say it interferes with their eradication efforts.