Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 IDNR changing state of deer hunting. >

IDNR changing state of deer hunting.

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

IDNR changing state of deer hunting.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: IDNR changing state of deer hunting.

And whens the last time you stood in "line" to check a deer in during archery season????
Not once unless Dad and I killed one in the same day!
Old 02-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Silent, what I'm saying is to truly earn a trophy you gotta do the training, the homework and put in your time. EARN it.

Of course you can just run in and look around for a day and set stands and take your chances. Of course it does pay off occasionally, but not as much as it doesn't. That's called...........luck. Right place + right time = good luck in those scenerios, the same as wrong place + wrong time = bad luck. Or you can interchange either part of the equation and still end up on bad luck end.

Let's evaluate the possiblilities.

Right place + right time = 1.

Right place + wrong time = 0.

Wrong place + right time = 0.

Wrong place + wrong time = 0.

Don't take it personally, it's just science. I wish everyone who enjoys the persuit of their choosen game in the great outdoors we share the best of luck in their endevours. Whether your just out for a single afternoon (or couple hours) of a season cause that's all you got or the guy who's butt has a signature in his stands. Wish you all the best God has for ya.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 03-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Luck= when preperation meets oppurtunity

How much scouting do you have to do before you "earn" a buck in your opinion. Also, even if you have scouted an area extensively don't all of the scenarios that you mentioned still come into play. Maybe your just a lot better deer hunter than I am but even when I hunt the area around my house where I am able to scout or at least observe the area it's still a toss of the dice as to whether I kill the deer that I am hunting. In your scenario you seemed to be saying that if you put the time and souting in that luck goes out the window and you just automatically kill the deer that you are hunting. For most of us it just doesn't work that way. Since I hunt both at home and away a great deal and have done so for years my personal opinion is that it takes more skill to go into an area with which you are unfamiliar and scout it and devise a game plan and still be successful in 5-7 days.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

been my experience in Illinois you do too much scouting in the small woodlots on the farms i hunt.then you've just helped your neighbor out by running the bucks on him.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Don or anyone else....if the caps are lifted, why would that be the end of the 2 buck limit? Oh yeah, no more check stations!![] Well, with no archery check stations and/or 2 buck limit we might as well forget QDM.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

Cougar,

Heres the bill.
HB1161
Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Wildlife Code. Provides that there shall not be a limit on the number of resident or non-resident archery deer hunting permits. Effective immediately.

Im being told (im not postive its true) is that the way this is worded that there would be no 2 buck limit.

We also need to worry about the bill that allows them to set the gun season anywhere in between Sept and Feb. Add all this stuff up and in a couple years (if this all passes) there wont be the demand to hunt here.

Don
Old 03-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Have they set the new price for NR tags yet?
Old 03-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, with no archery check stations and/or no 2 buck limit we might as well forget QDM.
POINT TAKEN!!!!! I couldnt agree more.
As for the the idea of doing away with check stations... BAD IDEA ..IMO.
Seems the IDNR wishes to become more and more HANDS OFF than Hands On these days... I sorry statement...if true of our IDNR.
With the Funds these days being brought into the state from hunting and the increase in funds they hope to get the IDNR should be able to be more hands on = the IDNR budget cuts, IDNR Staff reduction, Conservation Officers spread to thin and far between, cuts in funding to IDNR programs and State Parks, seems the IDNR wants to be more hands off at the time when they need to be more hands on to insure the future of our natural resources and deer herd.
So much for gathering CWD Samples from Hunters Deer if they do away with check stations?
Cant you gather more scientific evidence in person than you can by attempting to gather scientific evidence thru a prerecorded answering message over the phone????
Can a phone tell you that the person attempting to report a archery buck they shot was really a poached buck taken with a rifle out of season and illegal in the state..... NO........ you can only see that bullet hole in the deer in person... cant see it through the phone[:-] Can the phone tell you your deer was positive for CWD... the phone didnt take a CWD Sample for testing.
Do away with the 2 buck limit and you wont have anyone opening their wallets to get those antlerless tags... theyll all want to only shoot as many bucks as they can... theyll say why not ...its legal.... SO MUCH FOR THE IDNR MANAGING OUR HERD OR NATURAL RESOURCES.
So many of the proposed changes are leaving a badddddddddddd taste in my mouth..... How can the IDNR say its not about the money , its about whats best for our natural resources. ....when they want to guarentee tags to outfitters......... why not... its a business... if I was an outfitter depending on it for my livelyhood I would be in it for the money to......but that should not give them presedence over any others...make them get in line and take a number just like everyone else..outfitters are in it for the money and have more influence with the IDNR than the IDNR would lead us to believe ... IMO
Old 03-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

The public has 45 days from last Friday to submit comments on the proposals to IDNR legal counsel Jack Price at 1 Natural Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702.
This isnt the same Jack Price that passed away last november, that was also involved with IFOR... is it?????????????????
Old 03-03-2005, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Lady Forge, I agree with what you have said, well done but.........I have made my mind up that politicians have pressured the IDNR and I would also believe they may be threatened with further cuts and loss of power to manage our wildlife. I've talked to a couple of guides who work for an outfitter in Illinois and according to them, the DNR detest them. But that may be the officers in the field and not the top dogs.

Quick Reply: IDNR changing state of deer hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.