Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 WI 2004 Deer Harvest a HUGE Success!!! >

WI 2004 Deer Harvest a HUGE Success!!!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

WI 2004 Deer Harvest a HUGE Success!!!

Old 02-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default WI 2004 Deer Harvest a HUGE Success!!!

1) 2004's deer harvest was 517,169, the second largest harvest in Wisconsin's history!!! (pssst ... no more whining from the bar stool)

2) 2004 Wisconsin gun deer license sales are up 4,586 at the end of the gun deer season, from 2003 sales.

3) 2004 Wisconsin hunters donated a record 492,210 pounds of venison to Wisconsin food pantries across the state. This tops the previous high point of 305,000 pounds donated in 2003. A large network of volunteers including sports groups, church groups, civic organizations, and food pantry staff worked together to distribute the meat from the processors to the food pantries. Department of Natural Resources staff, United States Department of Agriculture-Wildlife Services staff, county wildlife damage staff and Hunt for the Hungry, also partnered to administer the program.

4) The quanity (and %) of deer testing positive for CWD are at a new low in the Disease Eradication Zone ....

2002 205 (1.48% of 13,846 sampled deer)

2003 115 (1.32% of. 8,685 sampled deer)

2004 111 (1.09% of 10,216 sampled deer)
Old 02-22-2005, 10:09 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default RE: WI 2004 Deer Harvest a HUGE Success!!!

1) So what?? With that being the case, shouldn't the number of EAB units and t-zones DROP next year?? Yet the preliminary talk from the DNR is to INCREASE THE NUMBER OF UNITS AFFECTED. Yeah...some success. Also, with all of the EAB units + t-zone in 2004, we should have seen the biggest harvest ever...BY FAR! Unless you're willing to admit the population was not even close to estimates!

2) And what is that in PERCENTAGE terms?

3) I agree that the venison donation programs were finally organized efficiently. So that indeed was a successful aspect of the 2004 season.

4) So I guess since the DNR wasn't even able to come close to their goal of ERADICATION in the CWD zones, it is proving that was an unnecessary, unrealistic goal for the "zone", isn't it?

And it appears that since the DNR has some egg on their faces this year...and some well deserved political pressure...they are finally implementing an audit of the SAK method of estimating deer population, after years of insisting that they just didn't have the money or resources. This of course, even though they had AGREED to do it as part of the Deer 2000 program.

DNR to audit deer population formula
Old 02-23-2005, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TJD
1) So what?? With that being the case, shouldn't the number of EAB units and t-zones DROP next year?? Yet the preliminary talk from the DNR is to INCREASE THE NUMBER OF UNITS AFFECTED.
There will be only 10 EAB units in 2005, they will be : Units 51A, 51B, 54C, 63A, 63B, 64M, 66, 67A, 67B and 68A.

The number of T-zone units will increase by 2 or 3 in 2005. Proposed T-Zone units include: 1, 1M, 2, 3, 6, 9, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22A, 23, 24, 25, 27, 29A, 30, 46, 47, 54B, 57, 57B, 59B, 59C, 59D, 59M, 60A, 60M, 61, 62A, 62B, 64, 65A, 65B, 68B, 69, 73B, 73D, 74A, 76A, 77C, 77M, 78, 80A, 80B and 81.

2) And what is that in PERCENTAGE terms?
About 0.71%, but considering CWD and a national decrease in hunter numbers, any increase is a very positive sign.

3) I agree that the venison donation programs were finally organized efficiently. So that indeed was a successful aspect of the 2004 season.
...but...but...but... the DNR was involved!

4) So I guess since the DNR wasn't even able to come close to their goal of ERADICATION in the CWD zones, it is proving that was an unnecessary, unrealistic goal for the "zone", isn't it?
The plan is working, and would work better if hunter participation/cooperation would increase.

And it appears that since the DNR has some egg on their faces this year...and some well deserved political pressure...they are finally implementing an audit of the SAK method of estimating deer population, after years of insisting that they just didn't have the money or resources. This of course, even though they had AGREED to do it as part of the Deer 2000 program.
Yeah, ..... and what if the audit shows that SAK is "Underestimating" Wisconsin Deer population??? What would you be complaining about then?
Old 02-23-2005, 04:37 AM
Fork Horn

1) .... Yeah...some success. Also, with all of the EAB units + t-zone in 2004, we should have seen the biggest harvest ever...BY FAR!
Not really ..... The 2000 harvest record of 615,393 deer was achieved on a combined gun and archery license sales of 952,948 licenses. I have not seen the 2004 license sales totals yet, but estimating from recient trends ..... the 2004 harvest of 517,169 deer was done on about 50,000 fewer license sales than 2000. And the 2000 season was before CWD.

Kinda hard to set a new harvest record when you're down by about 50,000 licensed hunters from the record year.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

My hunting group hunted hard all during the 9 day gun season in unit 63B, and came away with two doe and one 8 pt buck between 8 guys. In all we saw 16 deer. I hunted during the bow season and shot a doe on the first Tuesday of the season. I am the only one w/ permission to hunt this property, so the deer are relaxed and not pressured. The neighbors 100 acers away also bow hunt and bait. Well I'm here to tell you that being an EAB again this year is a bunch BULL SH--. The deer population is NOT what the DNR has estimated in this unit. The northern part of the unit is more wooded than the southern part which has more farm land. My understanding of what was in the local paper last weekend is that 63B will be an EAB again because of "intolerable agricultural damage from deer". If that is the case then this unit should be broken up into two different units. This is one of the largest units in the state. Even people that I have talked to in the southern part of the unit did not see many deer. I for one WILL NOT buy a hunting licence this year if this unit is an EAB.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:01 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

There will be only 10 EAB units in 2005, they will be : Units 51A, 51B, 54C, 63A, 63B, 64M, 66, 67A, 67B and 68A.
Yes, that just was released. What you might want to add is WHY only 10 units are now going to be in EAB.

And I'll give you a hint...it ain't because the DNR achieved all of their 2004 "goals" with regard to the hunt

Earn-a-buck down to 10 units in 2005

By Dean Bortz
Editor

Madison — DNR wildlife managers and biologists may not agree with hunters’ negative assessments of the 2004 deer season, but they heard the grumbling and are proposing just 10 units for earn-a-buck (EAB) seasons this fall.
"Heard the grumbling"?? Hmmmm, sounds like they finally are realizing they are supposed to be public servants, and not simply bureaucrats who are married to one view. But we'll see...

Same article...

Deer hunters were concerned more units would have been on that list. Using last year’s criteria, there would have been. DNR deer ecologist Keith Warnke said there would have been 34 units, including some repeats from 2004, on the EAB list had the DNR not stiffened its criteria a bit for 2005.

“We’re looking at a very conservative application of earn-a-buck,” Warnke said. “And that list (including the Zone T list) is subject to change. The Natural Resources Board makes final decisions on this.”
Warnke acknowledged that there was a bit of an internal struggle among deer managers and biologists to trim the EAB candidates to the 10 that made the final list.

“It’s a difficult sell from a deer population management perspective in some cases, yes, but we’ve also been listening to hunters and hearing from hunters about earn-a-buck,” Warnke said. “We looked at earn-a-buck from an effectiveness point of view. There were some trade-offs. We looked at whether earn-a-buck will kill more deer. In the 10 proposed units, the answer is an emphatic yes. Would a Zone T season have a similar impact? The answer in those 10 units is no.”
WOW!!! You mean they are actually starting to LISTEN to hunters for a change??

This article did not discuss the unit I hunt, unit 61 and why we are no longer facing EAB. In that case it was because the DNR finally wised up and raised the overwinter target to 20 deer PSM from 15 PSM. And WOOLAH!!!...we're no longer considered "dangerously overpopulated"!

...but...but...but... the DNR was involved!
Even blind squirrels find acorns once in awhile!

The plan is working, and would work better if hunter participation/cooperation would increase.
The landowners are the ones with the biggest stake in this, so it strikes me as somewhat odd to imply that THEY should be doing more on behalf of the DNR. "Eradication" was and is a dumb idea.

Yeah, ..... and what if the audit shows that SAK is "Underestimating" Wisconsin Deer population??? What would you be complaining about then?
Okay, I'm game! Care to bet your deert hunting privledges for LIFE that the audit won't find that????

And here's my prediction as to what we will find: The audit will come back with typically watered down language, saying something like "SAK can be an effective tool in measuring the population of Whitetailed Deer", and then we will hear how it need to be "fine tuned to take into account the unique nature of the herd", or some such pablum. But I doubt it will EVER say anything about it underestimating population...but it will say that it needs to be significantly modified to be accurate.

Or should we trot out the numbers from 2002 that showed the population down by 20%, all because the prior years' buck harvest (the "CWD Year") was way down due to fewer hunters???

Kinda hard to set a new harvest record when you're down by about 50,000 licensed hunters from the record year.
Somehow I doubt you could count on each of the 50,000 hunters to shoot two deer apiece anyway.

BUT IT'S EVEN HARDER TO SET A NEW HARVEST RECORD WHEN THERE AREN'T AS MANY DEER AS THE DNR ESTIMATED!!!!
Old 02-27-2005, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

And here's my prediction as to what we will find: The audit will come back with typically watered down language, saying something like "SAK can be an effective tool in measuring the population of Whitetailed Deer", and then we will hear how it need to be "fine tuned to take into account the unique nature of the herd", or some such pablum. But I doubt it will EVER say anything about it underestimating population...but it will say that it needs to be significantly modified to be accurate.
It is my thought that EAB needs to adjusted to factor in Wolves in Northern Wisconsin.

Somehow I doubt you could count on each of the 50,000 hunters to shoot two deer apiece anyway.

BUT IT'S EVEN HARDER TO SET A NEW HARVEST RECORD WHEN THERE AREN'T AS MANY DEER AS THE DNR ESTIMATED!!!!
At least seven Northeast Region units - 80B, 68A, 67B, 66, 65B, 63A and 62B - had confirmed, registered deer KILLS of 32 to 40 per square mile of deer range last year! That's more dead deer than most barstool DNR-bashers would say have been running around LIVE prior to the hunt.

9/10 earn-a-buck units for '05, eight of them repeats (only 64M is new) and all in the Northeast Region. A total of 51 units are slated for Zone T.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:59 PM
BFR
Spike

Hey sagittarius, how do you know what units will be earn a buck?
Old 03-05-2005, 12:03 AM

ORIGINAL: 1sagittarius

The quanity (and %) of deer testing positive for CWD are at a new low in the Disease Eradication Zone ....

No Kidding It Went Down...They Didnt Test As Many.

A Turkey Gobbles...You Head Towards It...You Stop It Gobbles You Say Its Getting Closer...No Kidding... We Went Towards It.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter_15

ORIGINAL: 1sagittarius

The quanity (and %) of deer testing positive for CWD are at a new low in the Disease Eradication Zone ....

No Kidding It Went Down...They Didnt Test As Many.

psssssssst, turkeyhunter ....... tested deer in 2004 INCREASED 17.6% over 2003 .... yes, they tested more.

Quick Reply: WI 2004 Deer Harvest a HUGE Success!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.