Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Da UP

Old 01-27-2005, 12:07 PM
BHS

Default Da UP

I'm thinking of buying some hunting property or a camp in Michigans UP. I've been told that there is an area that practically has no deer due to the severity of the winters. Can anyone comment on this. Also I really like Drummond Island. Do any of you live, hunt or vacation there? I see some pretty affordable 20 & 40 acre parcels. Is there an area on the island that is better for deer. Does Drummond see alot of traffic during deer season, or is it mainly locals and property owners that hunt there? Thanks...
Old 01-27-2005, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Da UP

I as well hunt in the U.P. BHS, near Munising Michigan, I cannot comment on Drummond Island as much as the UP itself. There isnt much deer activity in the UP as there is in the LP. The severity of winters up there is harsh and does kill of alot of the deer. Where I hunt there isnt that much activity there. Here is a stat about the UP and LP. The bucks in the UP are about 3 per sq mile and down in the LP the bucks are around 16 per sq mile, but in the UP they seem to be bigger. I dont know if that helped you at all.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:29 PM
Kip
Fork Horn

Drummond Island is enfested with hunters during deer season. I do not personally hunt there, but have several friends that do. Most are looking elsewhere to hunt after several bad deer seasons on the island. These guys have gone from seeing 30-40 deer a day, to now seeing MAYBE a dozen all season. Lots of discouraged hunters on Drummond this year. I think you would be better off looking elsewhere to hunt.

The eastern U.P. has seen a big decrease in deer numbers in the last 3 years. Where I hunt, I saw 9 deer all through rifle and muzzleloader season (I used to see a dozen or better a day). Lots of complaining going on all over up here about the wolves. There's getting to be quite a few in the area.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:46 PM

O yea Ive hared alot about the wolves up there as well...killin all the frikin deer!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:46 AM

My uncle has property on Drummund, but he only hunts it during the bow season. He has had his camp for as long as I can remember and says it gets overrun during the rifle season. Deer numbers are down up here, but if you get a pop at a buck, it will be bigger bodied at the very least.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in Central U.P. Around Escanada. I would deffinatley look into buying a 20 acre lot there near some of the state land. There is upward of 300,000 acres of state land surrounded by private. It you must be one of the private owners to acsess it. It is awesome hunting with some monster bucks outta there. Just magnificent spot. For me, deer sightings have been a major increase but maybe it is because i sat alot longer and gained alot more knowledge this year? Hope this helps. Post if you would like to know more. - Buckhunter
Old 01-28-2005, 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: buckhunter14

I hunt in Central U.P. Around Escanada. I would deffinatley look into buying a 20 acre lot there near some of the state land. There is upward of 300,000 acres of state land surrounded by private. It you must be one of the private owners to acsess it. It is awesome hunting with some monster bucks outta there. Just magnificent spot. For me, deer sightings have been a major increase but maybe it is because i sat alot longer and gained alot more knowledge this year? Hope this helps. Post if you would like to know more. - Buckhunter
Man what the hell I hunt near Munising about 20 miles South of there is my blind, I don't see many deer along there, im surprised to hear near Escanaba there are so many deer there. I need to go hunt dow there some time lol
Old 01-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Spike

I don't know anything about Drumond Island, but I used to hunt Mackinaw & Chippewa counties. The hunting was tough. Low numbers of deer. Except for late bow season when the deer were yarding up. If you found the right places the hunting was unbelieveable. I do 90% of my hunting now in northern Menominee Cty. There has been quite a bit of paper company land for sale. Some of it has been sending in large blocks. There is however several 40 acre parcels selling also. Good luck.