Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

[Deleted]

Old 09-05-2002, 08:29 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-05-2002, 09:03 PM

Default RE: WI MEAT EATERS

I am eating mine for sure. My wife and I live off venison year round with the exception of buying some chicken every now and again. If there is any risk of eating venison and contracting CWD/CJD my bet is the chance of getting bad food at a fast food joint is much greater. Besides if you smoke or chew you definitly have a better chance of getting cancer than you do coming down with CJD.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:22 PM
nub

I would be more inclined to eat if I didn't live at ground zero. The wife says "no way". If I score another 500 lbs of Moose meat, mine are going to who ever wants them, or in the DNR's dumpster. If I need the meat, I'll wait for the test.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-06-2002, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

nub, I'll shoot you a deer, trade ya fer some moose meat?????

I'll eat as many deer as I can put in my and my Dad's freezer. If I hunted in the CWD zone, they would go in the landfill/incinerator.

We'll know more in Feburary, March, April, when the results come in.

Old 09-06-2002, 09:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I was reading the newspaper and it said 80% were not going to eat the venison this year. This was hunters and non hunters.. Sounds like they have scared a lot of them off.. I will eat what ever I shoot.. but will be paying close attention to the butchering process.
Old 09-07-2002, 05:32 AM
nub

Doug: Tell you what, that arrow I sent thru my last moose was money well spent. I've eaten a load of moose and given away over a whitetails worth, and I still have a bunch in the freezer. I have not bought any red meat since last summer. You should take me up on my offer next time I invite you for a BBQ.
Old 09-07-2002, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I;ll eat whatever I shoot !!!! we have 5 guys in our group, on;y one of which will shoot a doe if it's big enough. the rest of us shoot bucks only so I don't think we are going to come back loaded with venison anyways !!!

"If it sounds and looks too good to be true, it probably is !"
Old 09-07-2002, 05:28 PM

I'm not tossing mine, but I'm not participating in earn-lots-of-bucks either.Check this --
Evidence of a molecular barrier limiting susceptibility of humans, cattle and sheep to chronic wasting disease.

Raymond GJ, Bossers A, Raymond LD, O'Rourke KI, McHolland LE, Bryant PK 3rd, Miller MW, Williams ES, Smits M, Caughey B. NIAID/NIH Rocky Mountain Laboratories, Hamilton, MT 59840,USA.

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE) of deer and elk, and little is known about its transmissibility to other species. An important factor controlling interspecies TSE susceptibility is prion protein (PrP) homology between the source and recipient species/genotypes. Furthermore, the efficiency with which the protease-resistant PrP (PrP-res) of one species induces the in vitro conversion of the normal PrP (PrP-sen) of another species to the protease-resistant state correlates with the cross-species transmissibility of TSE agents. Here we show that the CWD-associated PrP-res (PrP(CWD)) of cervids readily induces the conversion of recombinant cervid PrP-sen molecules to the protease-resistant state in accordance with the known transmissibility of CWD between cervids. In contrast, PrP(CWD)-induced conversions of human and bovine PrP-sen were much less efficient, and conversion of ovine PrP-sen was intermediate. These results demonstrate a barrier at the molecular level that should limit the susceptibility of these non-cervid species to CWD.
PMID: 10970836 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

This from the NIH-NINDS. Talked to them yesterday.
Old 09-07-2002, 08:22 PM

That is great news wdhc. Iam sure we wiil be hearing more about the chance of transmittence in the future.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.