Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Hunting in WI

Old 08-29-2002, 12:03 PM

Default Hunting in WI

I live in Southeastern PA and plan on moving to Wisconsin. The areas that I am looking at moving to are Madison, Waukesha or Appleton.

I am interested in learning about the hunting there, mostly the upland bird hunting.

Here in PA I hunt stocked pheasants with my springer (Jackie) on PA State Gamelands along with a thousand other guys. The best way to get any action here is to find out when and where they are going to stock, take the day off of work and hunt (and I use that word "hunt" lightly) after the stocking truck leaves. I have actually seen guys shoot at pheasants that flew off the truck! The next day you may flush 1 or 2 birds and two days later the birds will all be shot, if you don't have a dog forget it. The places that you can hunt here are VERY scarce and severely over hunted. I used to LOVE duck hunting but there is hardly a drop of water that you can hunt over any more.

I am hoping that it isn't the same way in WI. Would someone like to fill me in on the availability of hunting land in those areas?

Are there many wild pheasants in WI?

Can a guy get any duck hunting in without paying $275/day to use someones blind?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-29-2002, 01:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-29-2002, 02:34 PM
nub

Default RE: Hunting in WI

Welcome to the board Springer. Theres lots of birds around the Madison area. Lots of public hunting oppertunities too. You should have no problem finding a hunting spot for what ever you desire. We have wild birds and those chickens around my area. Give me an email when you get out this way and I'll turn you on to a few spots.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:54 AM

That is music to my ears Nub.
I can't wait to get there.
Are there any grouse as far south as Madison?
Old 08-30-2002, 12:02 PM
nub

Mark: The grouse are few and far between around my area (Black Earth). I've seen a couple but not what I'd say is a huntable population. You'd have to go a little north for those. I have bumped into a few quail here and there. Mostly pheasants and ducks.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:04 AM

i live about 10 miles west of appleton in a town call hortonville there is some public out here. i dont think the phesent hunting is the best but it can be done if u need some more info let me now
good luck
Old 09-03-2002, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the info WI Bowhunter, I'll keep that in mind. Do you just hunt big game?
Our dove season started yesterday and I was able to get out and get a few. It felt good to be able to hunt again.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Springer. I live in Milwaukee, and we go pheasant hunting to a State controlled hunting area called Bong Recreation area. Yes it's planted birds, but very tightly controlled as to how many hunters are let in on any given day. There are also areas around SE Wisconsin that DO have a wild population !!!! Yes , you need a good dog, otherwise you are just going for a walk in the field !!!!

"If it sounds and looks too good to be true, it probably is !"
Old 09-03-2002, 12:57 PM

yup i just do big game ive onnly gone out bird hunting a few times i bowhunt and gunhunt no prob for the info
Old 09-12-2002, 10:48 PM

hey bowhunter, how hard is it to find a good place to bow hunt up there,i am in Nc and was wanting to try and make it up that way this fall or next to do some bowhunting,thanks for your time..

Quick Reply: Hunting in WI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.