Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 THis will get people fired up!!! >

THis will get people fired up!!!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

THis will get people fired up!!!

Old 12-09-2004, 10:38 PM

Default THis will get people fired up!!!

Now this is just a friendly question and I know on this site people tend to get pretty riled up about some of the threads. This one is harmless however. But please tell me what state has the best OVERALL hunting and explain your answer. By this I mean deer, turkey, waterfowl, upland, etc...
Old 12-10-2004, 10:50 AM

Default RE: THis will get people fired up!!!

I think IL is up there. We have crop-fed turkeys, deer, pheasants, quail, squirrels, rabbits, greenheads and pintails, geese, coyotes, foxes, and I even saw a river otter last year. Before too long, we will have elk. Yes ELK! Supposedly they are making there way up to Shawnee Nat'l Forest and will be here in a few years.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I think Colorado has pretty good hunting opportunity. This state has pheasant, quail, blue and sage grouse, goose and duck, dove, turkey, jack and cottontail rabbit, coyote, fox, bobcat, mtn. lion, racoon, whitetail and mule deer, antelope, elk, moose, mtn. goat, bighorn sheep, marmot, black bear. This state has the largest elk herd of any other state. We've got lots of National Forest to hunt, and a good bit of state lands. If a guy does it right, in one year you could hunt bear, antelope, mule deer or whitetail, and elk. The moose, mtn. goat, and bighorn sheep are a very long shots to get drawn for. Small game is not the best, but there is enough to make it worth while to hunt and the state has been able to lease a lot of land for small game hunting from private owners.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:09 PM

Colorado, Montana & Alaska
Old 12-12-2004, 08:37 AM

i have a few things to say, 1) I used to live in Illinois and the hunting doesnt even come close to other states. I go to school in Nebraska and this isn't even the best hunting state, but i know its 10x better than Illinois. 2) I would have to say that Alaska would be the best hunting with Montana coming in second. 3) South Dakota is also damn good hunting.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:49 AM

I have to be an advocate for Michigan. With a rather wide array of game animals including: whitetail, elk, black bear, turkey, pheasant, partridge, small game, tons of waterfowl (not going to start listing species) Michigan has some excellent hunting opportunities. We may not have the most Record Book bucks, but Michigan has the second largest whitetail population and one of the largest annual deer harvests in the country. Lots of fun for everyone!
Old 12-13-2004, 03:46 PM

My vote goes for Ohio.

1) Take a look at the big bucks being harvested there on a regular basis.
2) Quaility turkey numbers year in and year out...and getting better.
3) Decent upland game (quail in the south, pheasant in central ohio).
4) Overall variety of hunting opportunities.
5) Good management programs.
6) Dove hunting is nice.
7) It's not WV! (LOL)
8) You can hunt all day, then fish for trophy smallies on Erie the next day.
9) It's round on the ends and hi in the middle?
10) We have snowshoe hairs?
Old 12-15-2004, 06:43 PM

o come on wisconsin but i am young and have only hunted in wisconsin but we have bear,deer,fox,coyote,and other varmits so in the winter it is fun and were i live we got wild hogs like just last week some one shot a 400 pound russian boar it was on the front page of the paper

wisconsin rules
Old 12-15-2004, 08:56 PM

you can count illinois in for deer, turkey, and waterfowl, but thats about it. upland just sucks...unless you live in a county were theres a small wild bird population, plan on hunting little pen raised birds.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:42 PM

Colorado and Alaska are my two picks. Hunted both states. For the shear variety of animals and huntability. I haven't hunted in Montana, have a few friends that have and they say it is even better than Colorado. So, I guess I will have to go there myself to find out.

Quick Reply: THis will get people fired up!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.