Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 WI DNR CAN KISS MY @$$ >

WI DNR CAN KISS MY @$$

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

WI DNR CAN KISS MY @$$

Old 11-22-2004, 02:46 AM

Default WI DNR CAN KISS MY @$$

I wanna know where all these does are...Opening day I had to pass on 4 bucks on a heavily hunted area outside the small community of navarino in southern shawano county..Bucks were a 4,5,7 and 8 pointer...They all walked past me like they knew i couldnt shoot them cause no doe yet..Almost every member of my group (13 hunters, all family) saw only bucks..no doe...BUt i hear alot of does were taken this year in my unit, so hopefully next season we get back to the regular 9 day gun season without the flipping tzone, cause since the tzone has been where i hunt (like last 4 or 5 years) the nine day season just isnt the same...Good Luck to all you hunters in WI during the work week and over thanksgiving weekend...Hit Em n Get em
Old 11-22-2004, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: WI DNR CAN KISS MY @$$

I took my 12 year old son, Ryan, on his first Wisconsin Deer hunt Opening day. We were hunting a EAB, unit 14, in Northern WI, he was using a Winchester new model 70, .243, with scope.

At 7:15 am a 14" eight point came trotting in behind a doe and fawn. Ryan shot the doe at 40 yards, but it ran out of site, the eight point was gone. 30 seconds later, 135 yards out, a forked buck was standing down the shooting lane. Ryan asked if he should take him, I said "If you think you can make a good shot, yes." He aimed, shot, the deer bucked, and dissappeared.

We first went looking for the doe, it traveled 70 yards after a perfect double lunged shot. Gutted it, dragged it back to the blind. We then paced off the distance to the buck, he made it about 10 yards. Ryan got one lung, liver, nicked the stomach, at 135 yards, exellent shot! Dragged him out, took the deer into town to register, Ryan was all smiles, as he should be, his first two deer.

We went back out at 12:30. At 2:30 I heart shot a small doe, 45 yards, gutted and dragged her up to the blind. At 3:30 my son shot buck fawn, 60 yards, one lung, liver, nicked the stomach, went 15 yards. We had 4 deer, in four shots, my son shot three deer on his first day deer hunting, all great shots. We decided that was enough deer and decided to call it a weekend.

Later we discussed the days events. He had no problem passing on the first larger buck, and shooting the doe first. As for the buck fawn, he thought next time he/we should look a bit more closely for nubs. Ryan is already looking forward to next year, and agreed to be a bit more selective on what he shoots. To him or I, the EAB was no big deal, and the right thing to do where we hunt.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:40 AM

Congrats to your son, that is awesome!

And...

... that's the way it should be 4 shots, 4 deer, well placed shots, EXCELLENT! I can't stand it when I hear people shooting 3 times at the same deer! I realize sometimes you HAVE to, but if you are serious about hunting, bow or rifle, you ought to be able to take the time to practice your shot and hit it right the first time.

Awesome day for you, Congrats!
Old 11-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Deerslayer, I couldn't agree with you more. I saw one tail of a deer at about 100 yds. That was it for the whole weekend. I hunt in Unit 63B which goes from Appleton all the way up to Oconto Falls. The T-Zone - EAB early hunt really took it's toll. I for one will not buy a liscence next year if there is a T-Zone - EAB hunt in this unit. Good luck to all the rest of the season.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:31 PM

Buck hunting Girl...When you use a rifle with a scope, its easier to do a well placed shot at deer at over 100 yards, Most the the time, they dont know where you are...But for me, hunting on public land, shotgun, open sights, alot of times the deer are running full bore past you at 50-100 yards and you gotta crack off more then one shot..My fork I shot last year, i shot him on the second shot at 75 yards, open sights....My first shot basically was to see if he would stop, which he did for 1 second to look for his does and that gave me enough time to bead up a decent shot through both lungs....Happy Hunting and Hit em n Get em
Old 11-22-2004, 07:50 PM

In my opinion (and everyone is entitled to one), if you are going to shoot with open sights, you ought to be sure of your accuracy first. Of course that's my opinion, and yours may be different, but if you are confident enough to shoot with open sights, you ought to be confident enough or practiced enough to hit 'em with that first shot. We can't use rifles in Indiana though, we use a muzzleloader during shotgun season, and if there are deer RUNNING by me, I am patient enough to wait the two or three days (sometimes minutes or hours) to wait for them to WALK by me.

My boyfriend has hunted Michigan public land for 12 years and he has never had to shoot at a running deer. As I said before patience IS a virtue.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:58 PM

man... there are too many "deerslayers" on this board... I get confused easily... I had you confused with "37"... but still, I'd MUCH rather hear one shot than 3, but I know, to each their own!