Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Chain O' Lakes State Park >

Chain O' Lakes State Park

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Chain O' Lakes State Park

Old 11-19-2004, 11:18 AM

Default Chain O' Lakes State Park

Anyone ever hunt this ground before? It's Noble County, Indiana... my BF got drawn last year, didn't see one dang deer, he didn't go back the second day of the hunt because he felt that their numbers were off and there was no need to hunt the grounds... Amazingly enough, he didn't hear many shots either, and the place was saturated with hunters!
Old 11-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Spike

Default RE: Chain O' Lakes State Park

I was checking the DNR website....they harvest around 130 some odd deer this year on the first two days of management hunt. I think I looked at it for last year too and the numbers were up there as well. Heres a link to the report. PS Nice buck on your other posts. We have land in Steuben county, between four of us we took 4 bucks and one doe on opening morning all within about 1/2 hr of each other.

<http://www.in.gov/serv/presscal?PF=d...list=82232>
Old 11-19-2004, 12:10 PM

Thanks, I am pretty proud of him... I hate having only one buck tag to fill... but that's life, that means they will be bigger next year! LOL It's so addicting, my BF still has a buck tag he could buy/fill, but I don't think we can eat 3 deer in one year! I am going to do my best to fill my doe tag, don't know if I will get the time to do so or not with two little ones though. My mom wants a deer for her freezer and said she'd pay the processing fee if I bagged it... so I'll give it a shot.

I have yet to get a doe. I shot one with my bow this year, but we couldn't find her. We tracked her for about 2 hours, had a good blood trail, but we lost it. There were bubbles in the blood, so I can only guess that I hit lung, but she was at an angle, and I only shoot 43#, so the arrow stuck in her, never did find it when we were tracking, but interestingly enough, when we were gutting out Shane's doe Sunday, we found the arrow about 5 yards from where we were standing... blood all of the way down the arrow. I don't know how she got it out, but it was quite a ways from where I shot her. That is a sick feeling though, when you don't find one... After all of the trouble I had sighting in that bow, I was thrilled that I hit her with a halfway decent shot from about 25 yds.

We had a sucky start to bow season... Shane had just bought a new Parker Mag, and I was using his first bow (from when he was 12), just had them set up, got all the accessories on them and had them perfecto... two weeks before October 1st, they were both stolen out of our garage with about $700 of hunting apparel as well. Major bummer, so we had to scrap around to get me a new bow and he used an old one we had that was hidden behind stuff and they apparently missed... We didn't get to go out on the 1st because we were spending the day at the archery range!
Old 11-19-2004, 12:12 PM

By the way, I read your posts about your opener, and it sounds like you guys had an awesome day, Congrats on that!

Steuben is a good county, as well as Lagrange. They harvest some pretty good bucks out of there... but Noble is still up there.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Spike

Thats great that you enjoy hunting so much. I hunted quite a bit when I was in my late teens my very first day out deer hunting in 89 was out for aoub an hour and shot a huge 9 point. Field dressed at 199lbs hes hanging on my wall. Then got into bow hunting, I too lost a 4 point with bow. Tracked and tracked but the blood trail just dried up.

My son who is now 15 just got me back into deer hunting two years ago......this was his first deer this year. We checked ours in at Gander Mountain on opening day early afternoon. Took us awhile to gut 5 deer....anyway there were a couple of real nice bucks being checked in, a huge 10point very wide and a massive 19point, I think they said he came out of Noble. Anyway should get the pics of our deer developed over the weekend and will post them. Good luck on the doe.....Oh and I think its great that you hunt, my wife and I have two little ones running around the house too plus my older son.

PS- sorry about your equipment getting stolen....that really sucks. I know I usually dont lock my truck when I am at work but I have my pheasent stuff in the back and definately lock it up now. But glad you were able to salvage the year.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:48 PM

That's awesome. Your wife doesn't hunt? You should get her out there if she doesn't! You checked it at Gander in Fort Wayne? Or in Coldwater? We checked mine in at Hunter's Den in Noble County, but we checked the doe in at Gander Mountain on Sunday and there was a nice rack there too... I think there were 6 or 7 bucks there... three of them in one truck! LOL

I'm glad your boy hunts, I can't wait until our kids are old enough, my oldest is 5, a little girl, and I have a 3 year old boy. Only a few more years until the oldest can go, I can't wait! They both LOVE hunting, she wants to go now, she is very impatient! LOL When we have one hangin', all they want to do is go into the garage and look at them! She even helped skin the doe and helped my BF cut it up and everything! She's definitely a hunter!
Old 11-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Spike

Nope she's not into the hunting thing. Maybe when the little ones get bigger. We have a 3yr old daughter and 8mo old boy....they keep us busy. Thats too cool about your kids being into it. I had Angie bring our kids out to Gander when we were checking the deer in, she seemed interested in them but there were alot of people around. Yes the gander mt. in fort wayne. My brother wanted to enter his in the big buck contest. After we got there we realized it wasnt going to win but was still a great buck. Again I will post some pics early next.