Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Questions about tags in WI >

Questions about tags in WI

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Questions about tags in WI

Old 10-22-2004, 09:16 AM

Default Questions about tags in WI

This is my first year bowhunting. And I've only been gun hunting for 2 years. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

It is EAB in my area of WI (Waupaca county). I have a doe and buck tag for bowhunting and I know I have to shoot a doe first. But, lets say I fill both my tags for bowhunting. Do I have to shoot another doe before I can shoot a buck gun hunting?

Also, how does the T-zone tag work then? Do I get another doe tag beside what I have for bow and gun hunting?

someone please explain this to me...
Old 10-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-25-2004, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Questions about tags in WI

Pinniger:

You have four (4) tags, and you can use any or all of them for anterless deer. You can take four (4) anterless deer with either bow or gun BUT, can only take one (1) buck with bow, and one (1) buck with gun, and then only if you have “earned” it by harvesting an anterless deer first.

Be careful when you tag your deer; use the T-Zone tags on the anterless deer first. If you mistakenly put your regular deer carcass tag on an anterless deer, then you will NOT be able to harvest a buck, even though you earned it. Given that you are in an EAB unit, this is how it breaks down:

1. You are eligible to take four (4) antlerless deer with your bow or gun. (4 deer total)

2. During the “T-Zone” hunts, (October / December) you may only take anterless deer regardless of the weapon used, even if you have earned a buck, these are anterless only seasons.

3. If you wish to harvest a buck, you MUST take an anterless deer first. When you register the anterless deer, you will have “earned” one buck. It doesn’t matter weather you take the buck with bow or gun.

4. You can take two anterless deer right away with the bow, and then you will have earned your two bucks.

5. You can take two anterless deer during the October T-Zone, and then you will have earned your two bucks.

6. Even if you earn two bucks, you MUST take one with the bow, you cannot harvest two earned bucks with the gun.

7. Bonus tags are anterless only.

Hope this clears it up, if you still have questions, please feel free to post, or contact the DNR.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:41 PM

Pinniger,
I hunt south of Waupaca and this is my second year bow hunting. In addition to what was already stated, if you shoot and tag a doe in the field, you can shoot and tag a buck (prior to getting your buck sticker) as long as the two deer are tagged by the same person and transported at the same time out of the field and to the DNR registration station.
Good Luck!
Old 10-26-2004, 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: bnhcomputing
5. You can take two anterless deer during the October T-Zone, and then you will have earned your two bucks.

bnhcomputing,

Thanks, this was a great post and cleared a lot up for me. The only question I still have is about the statement quoted above. I just want to be sure of something.

So, if during the t-zone, I shoot two doe. I can tag one with my gun tag, and one with my bow tag. Then I earned my buck for the bow and gun, even though I harvest both does with a gun. I can then harvest a buck with my bow. Is this correct?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found my answer in the DRN handbook.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

With an archery and gun license, and hunting in a EAB:

You have 1 either sex tag for archery.
You have 1 either sex tag for gun.
You have 2 anterless only tags.

When you harvest an anterless deer, use up your T-Zone tags first. Harvesting two anterless, regardless of how (bow/gun) or when (regular season/T-Zone), “earns” you a chance to harvest two bucks.

I will be out in force this weekend. I will be trying to take two anterless with the rifle. Then I could take one buck with bow, and one buck with gun during the regular seasons.

During the gun season, I can take one Buck with the gun tag. If I haven’t used my bow tag yet, I can harvest another anterless deer even if I have already earned a buck.

Confused yet?