Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 All you MO's,Strut, rocketman250r, louddrummer69, greg-dude, horntagger, mobowhuntr, Antler Addict.. >

All you MO's,Strut, rocketman250r, louddrummer69, greg-dude, horntagger, mobowhuntr, Antler Addict..

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

All you MO's,Strut, rocketman250r, louddrummer69, greg-dude, horntagger, mobowhuntr, Antler Addict..

Old 08-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default All you MO's,Strut, rocketman250r, louddrummer69, greg-dude, horntagger, mobowhuntr, Antler Addict..

What’s up guys! I’m in the process of researching a do-it-yourself bowhunt in the awesome Show Me State for a friend and I this fall. This will be my first deer hunt away from the nest of upstate NY. I’m exited to say the least.

I’ve spent the last two days on the MDC website looking at Public Conservation Areas in the Northeast portion of the state primarily Sullivan, Adair, Putnam, Schuyler, Scotland Co. The handful I have picked look amazing on paper. I would really like to get as much information as possible to make the trip go smooth and have a good time. If you guys could think of anything that would help please reply or PM me.

I have some concerns with hunting pressure. I don’t like to bother anyone and could use a little space myself. Also, are their any towns that aren’t NR hunter friendly? And should I be planning the trip for the first portion of the season while bachelor groups and carefree bucks still roam or towards the rut when anything can happen? The topography looks like small ups and downs with not much change happening. Some arias are savanna like, other grass, and timber fingers spouting into crop fields from ridgelines. Is it as obvious as it looks? What’s the prevailing wind? (I’ve never seen a savanna before, what’s that like for hunting?)

Those are a few questions I have. Again if you have anything to add please do. I appreciate anything anyone can give me for a reply.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:48 PM

Default RE: All you MO's,Strut, rocketman250r, louddrummer69, greg-dude, horntagger, mobowhuntr, Antler Addict..

Mantis the are a your looking at is good hunting, and as far as hunting the early season, when bucks are in bachelor groups, it may be hard to do unless you could scout some fields about two or three weeks before your going to hunt, not being able to do that, Id say your best bet would be the chase phase of the rut that usually hits somewhere around the first week of nov until the beginning of rifle season. The wind you asked about will likely be from the north, or west, or somewhere in between, and you should have frosty mornings, and normal temps usually top out around 40 -60 for highs,, but that could change quickly. I think you will enjoy your hunt in Mo, I love hunting here. Hope I helped some.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: All you MO's,Strut, rocketman250r, louddrummer69, greg-dude, horntagger, mobowhuntr, Antler Addict..

Thanks Angus that was great info! Much appreciated!
Old 08-05-2004, 07:58 PM

What Angus said.
Are you bow hunting? I've never hunted public ground, but do know it can be crazy during gun season. One of the reasons I don't hunt it. But if you are bringing your bow I would think the first part of Nov. would be when I would come. Our summer has been unusually cool and wet, so It's kind of hard to say what the weather will be like then. Areas that would have normaly burned up in the summer heat are still lush and green. Should be a bumper year for crops. Most of the conservation areas try to plant some food plots or crop cover. As far as the people, come on out, we're friendly folk. I wouldn't think you would have any problems. Hope this helps. Sorry I don't know more about the specific places you asked about
Old 08-05-2004, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah rocketman, I’ll be bowhunting.

Sounds like the chances of connecting on a nice buck on public land isn’t as good as I thought with all that pressure during rifle seasons.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:02 PM

There are a lot of rifle hunters there as you know but I know lots of guys who hunt there every year, and take some really nice bucks, but still I think your best shot is with the bow. Good luck
Old 08-05-2004, 11:32 PM

Default RE: All you MO's,Strut, rocketman250r, louddrummer69, greg-dude, horntagger, mobowhuntr, Antler Addi

Mantis Mayer, I have a map guide called Discover Outdoor Missouri and another large book that gives details to all the states public areas. It tells you the amount of acres, type of hunting allowed, driving directions and several other key details. I have some other published info you might be interested in and I would be happy to mail it all to you if you would like. There are quite a few areas in the counties you mentioned that receive very low hunnting pressure and alot of bow hunting only areas. Let me know if you would like to receive these publications and I will give you my e-mail address so we can correspond. Antler Addict
Old 08-05-2004, 11:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: All you MO's,Strut, rocketman250r, louddrummer69, greg-dude, horntagger, mobowhuntr, Antler Addi

Antler Addict! Check your PM inbox!
Old 08-14-2004, 04:17 AM
Fork Horn

Mantis - The area you are looking at is great for trophy bucks. Now for the good news. The publications you are recieving and on the MDC website you need to look for Archery only hunting. MDC has some great public land that is Archery only hunting. The pressure is a lot less than on public areas for gun hunting. All of these properties that I have hunted had at least a third of the property in crops. I have not hunted in the area you are looking at but I know a lot of trophy deer are taken up there.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the area around the Mark twain lake ,the city closest is Perry There is some great hunting there. I put this pic on the deer hunting forum but I put it here for you . This area of the pic is about 25 miles east of perry . The most deer killed each year is in macon county that is about 20 miles north of me. the area you were talhing about hunting are ok to ,the closer to St. Louis the better then follow the river north

Quick Reply: All you MO's,Strut, rocketman250r, louddrummer69, greg-dude, horntagger, mobowhuntr, Antler Addict..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.