Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Gas...

Old 05-15-2004, 06:12 AM

Default Gas...

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm sure I'm not the only one during these days who has had to cancel trips just because of high gas prices. My wife and I have a mini-van which gets near to 30 mpg. But the van doesn't have a hitch, and if it did, I don't know if it could pull the boat. I've been spending too much time in the house lately because I simply cannot afford to take the pickup (9 mpg, tops) out fishing anywhere. I cancelled a Montana trip because of the uncertainty of gas prices. If they go down, great, I would've been able to afford it. But with the prices where they are at now (just over $2.00 a gallon, last time I checked) I can't afford to drive very far in search of fish and game. It's sad that the only reason a person cannot go hunting or fishing is because gas prices are so high! But, the oil companies have us by the short and curlies, don't they. I mean, they say that auto gas is a luxury. I say it's a neccesity nowadays since you couldn't go ANYWHERE without your horseless carriage. I'm sure my work wouldn't be happy when I said, "Hey, I'm gonna be about 3 hours late today because I have to walk." And I would walk if I had the time. But it's roughly 20 miles from home to work, I have a baby that I'm watching from the time I get home (6:30am) until 4:00pm when my wife gets home from work. Then i get a whopping 4 hours of sleep before it's time to head to work myself. Not to mention that I'm sure people would get pissed if you cut across their property... and I sure as heck ain't gonna be following the road when it's MUCH shorter as the crow flies! It's like saying that natural gas, water, and electricity are "luxury items". Sure, back in the day when those things first came to Minnesota, they could be considered a luxury. But as far as heat goes... there isn't enough wood for heat in my area. There is, but I'm sure if I took a chainsaw (or any cutting device) into my neighbors yard and started cutting firewood I'd be in big trouble. In certian areas (like deep in the cities) I'm sure that it'd be easy enough to get around. But there isn't a bus or train (or even a carpool for me) that goes this far (Cologne, MN) and would drop me off anywhere near my work! Well, my son is awake and it's time to decide what to do... I think I'll end up sitting here at home. It's sad... this is the FIRST year I've lived in minnesota and not gone out fishing on opener. *sigh*
Old 05-15-2004, 07:42 PM

Default RE: Gas...

i agree with your complaint[:@]. i drive a suburban-350 v8 baby. talk about gas hog. on a windy day(every day in nd and mn) i get 9-10 doing 80. gas is so high i just put 300 bucks into it in aftermarket parts to try and get more mileage out of it. i love the truck, i hate the gas prices. i will not cancel my hunting this year because of the gas prices, i will be selling a kidney if you know anyone looking. if gas gets much higher, the suburban will be parked and the minivan will be my hunting rig (the wife disagrees though). it's sad that it cost $5 to fill my gas can for the lawn mower. as far as fishing, i go on a fly in in 2 weeks up in canada (airplane fuel, even pricier). that may be it for fishing, gotta save for hunting season. i am already planning on sleeping in the truck to save money for gas. maybe i'll just sell the house and live in the truck.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:46 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: brdhntr

i agree with your complaint[:@]. i drive a suburban-350 v8 baby. talk about gas hog. on a windy day(every day in nd and mn) i get 9-10 doing 80.
Have you considered slowing down yet ? You lose 1% of your potential mileage for every mph you drive over 55 . My Explorer does get better mileage than your Suburban anyway , but I found that I could pass by the gas station more often when I reduced my speed and fell in love with the cruise control .
Old 05-17-2004, 09:24 PM

kevin- i have tried to slow down (spd lmt is 75) but the gas mileage really doesn't change much for me. the real diff is the wind. i do ok on a calm day, but we never have those. if i go slower, i may miss some much needed hunting time!
Old 05-18-2004, 10:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I see your point ,
55 could be dangerous where you drive ! []
Old 05-18-2004, 06:59 PM

i got an email the other day stating this.......

"IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED
STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY
AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD
CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH
A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS
THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK
IT UP THEIR behind " DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS
NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT
DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS
E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS
YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THIS ADMIINSTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL
THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO
THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB
NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE
GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO
RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO
RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING
THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE
MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS
EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND
MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED
STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"
Old 05-18-2004, 08:50 PM

They Wouldnt Go Lower...They Would Go Higher, Because People The Day After Would Have To Buy Gas For W/e The Price Is. And Its Imposiball For 1 Day For No One To Get Gas
Old 05-19-2004, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going on a 2000 mile trip, and gas is now $2 where it used to be $1.60, that's $.40/gal difference. If your vehicle gets 10mpg, that's 200 gallons of gas. At $.40 higher per gal, that's only a $80 increase in total cost of your trip.

If $80 is going to make or break your vacation, either it wasn't that important in the first place, or your budget is dang tight. Just save an extra couple bucks here or there, and you'll have the $80 in no time.

I'm not trying to be a jerk...but it just seems that $80 shouldn't make or break a trip of that importance to you.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:57 PM

GAS!!!!!!!!

Try owning a Baja boat with 425 horse power and a 100 gallon tank that if you wanted could be burned in 2 days of minimal boating.[:@]

I am definatly not looking forward to filling that thing.[:@]

Sell the boat and get a Fat Boy they only have 4 gallon tanks
Old 05-20-2004, 06:39 AM

My wife is planning to get a pup from Montreal this summer, which means we would need to bring the truck and the trailer to haul all the dogs, or I stay home and she drives by herself, or she flies out and flies the dog back. She is against shipping it.

She seams to have it in her head that flying is the best way. and it may be a little cheaper at $2.00-$2.50 a gallon but then she won't be able to visit family while she is out there.... I've been making the same argument that it is not that much more expensive, but sometimes reasoning just won't work.