Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois National Archery In The Schools Program >

Illinois National Archery In The Schools Program

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois National Archery In The Schools Program

Old 03-30-2004, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Illinois National Archery In The Schools Program

The Illinois Department of Natural Resources is looking for 20 school systems to pilot the school based program " On Target For Life ". The program is based on Olympic-Style Target Archery that is introduced through the phisical education curriculum. The 2 week long " On Target For Life " curriculum meets Illinois State Board Of Education Learning Goals, Standards and benchmarks in language arts, math,phisical science and social science. For more information contact;
Dave Cassens, Shooting Sports Development Program Manager at
#(217)785-7742 or email [email protected]

I spoke with Dave Cassens regarding this yesterday and he told me that the IDNR picks up half the cost for this program and the school picks up the other half the Schools share would be approx $1,300.00 the usuall cost for the school would be $,2,700.00 but with the IDNR involvement the schools cost is cut in half. 6 schools in northern and southern Illinois have already commited to the program and we have the IDNR certifying teachers to become NAA certified Archery Instructors this coming weekend in Benton Illinois.
Dave has said that some of these school are in very small and poor communities and they have been able to secure the funds needed to implement this program in their schools by soliciting organizations such as NWTF etc for donations and holding fundraisers to raise the needed funds where a finacelly strapped school system could not afford to fund the program.
This program uses the Genesis Bow.
This is a great way to help support and encourage archery and bowhunting in our children and to help secure a future population of archers and bow hunters.
->>>------Deborah---------->
Old 03-30-2004, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Illinois National Archery In The Schools Program

If I remember correctly, our local chapter is working on getting it into our local highschool program. But it may not be wrapped only into the phys ed end. Our local school has an outdoor program that may use it also.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

IL_BOW_MAN;
Thats great to hear about your school and the great work the NWTF is doing to help it along.
I am also helping a friend that is already doing archery in the school over in georgetown to get involved in this program cause as of right now they only have 2 bows that he paid for and he is paying for everything else also.
PS;
Did you get the packet I sent you on Kicking Bear Archery Camp For Kids?
->>>----Deborah Knoff------>
Old 03-30-2004, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, it is sitting on the kitchen table.

I am still waiting for the wife to actually look at it and notice that it is on our anniversary.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

LadyForge,

Thanks for the information. Last night I spent some serious time looking into this program and will be approaching our school. Next thing i know i read this post and find out Illinois DNR is going to help with this. This is great news thanks again!!!

Don
Old 03-30-2004, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mitch;
Glad to hear you got it...... we have had lots and lots of sponsor jump on board since you got the flyer, the community and industry support has been wonderful..... I hope the wife will be agreeable to letting you attend.... But any how...... HAPPY ANIVERSARY.
There will also be a couple of magazines writting articles on the Kicking Bear program ( Field and Stream ~ Bow and Arrow Magazine)

So far our sponsors include:
Primos,Sims Vibration Laboratory,Field and Steam Magazine,Bow and Arrow Magazine, Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine,PSE Archery, UPS, State Farm Insurance, Bagelmens,Gander Mountain, Muzzy,Whitetails Unlimited,Double Bull Blinds, Camo Cube, Bohning Archery, Pepsi, Swarovski Optiks,Mossy Oak, Vibra check,Rod House Rut-N-Strut Outfitters( Pike County Illinois),County Market,Sam's Archery Pro Shop( Georgetown), Buck Stop Archery( Brownstown),Hunters Haven( Champaign), River Hawk Archery( Sidney),Two Bears Custom Archery( Springfield), Whack a Buck Archery ( Rantoul) ..... and more to come.

Don K;
Thats wonderful news about you already looking into this program.... I'm sure with the IDNR splitting the cost of this program it will make it much more attractive to many school districts.
->>>-----Deborah Knoff--------->
Old 04-02-2004, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lady, she asked me about it just yesterday morning. I told her to look at the date and she was just like...so. So chances are that I can help, but it is still a little to far away to tell for sure. I won't forget about you though!