Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Here we go again, Wisconsin! >

Here we go again, Wisconsin!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Here we go again, Wisconsin!

Old 02-26-2004, 03:02 PM

Default RE: Here we go again, Wisconsin!

[>:] If Dnr Were Remotly Bright, Then They Should Let Poaching Be Legal But Then Not Poaching, You Should be able to shoot does whenever you want...As Long as you dont sell the Parts.With Earn a buck itll get wasted Does will be just laying all over. At Least If They Would Do The Shoot A Doe Whevever, Like Winter Anytime,Summer,Fall, Would Be Better.
Makes more sence,Feel Like Shooting go shoot a doe, Just make sure its got No Horns, Thats The Way They Should Do It.[>:]
Old 02-26-2004, 03:46 PM

Hey Turkey15, what about when the bucks have shed their headgear? I don't think your idea was well thought out.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:30 PM
nub

Still in a mood Doug? lol Some here might not be old enough to sit the stool.
Quit whining, climb of the bar stool, stop baiting, start learning to hunt, and shoot some does!!!!!!!
Amen. When your done, shoot some more does.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

NUB! bud, how the he!! are ya?

I am attending a hunters safty class with my son right now. Tonight the one of the local Game wardens came and talked for a hour. When CWD came up he mentioned a computer model of CWD expanson. Based on Wisconsin deer densities and if nothing was done, the result would be zero deer in Wisconsin in 20 years. But, the population reduction at ground zero has worked well in containing CWD in that area.

What is your opinion coming from ground zero???
Old 02-27-2004, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

If Dnr Were Remotly Bright, Then They Should Let Poaching Be Legal But Then Not Poaching, You Should be able to shoot does whenever you want...
turkeyhunter.....what are you smoking lately ????? That is one of the most unthought of statements I have heard in a long time !!!!!
Old 02-27-2004, 08:45 AM
Spike

Earn a buck works for me, it lets the young bucks mature. Maybe a doe only season state wide would improve the ratio, but with so much land being tied up in private it is hard to control the herd ratio. While talking to a warden in the LaCrosse area he stated some of the areas surveyed had 32 deer in a square mile yet down the road they only had 9. Out by Menards on CTH SS we counted 86 deer feeding in a 34 acre field (posted land and within city limits). Acsess is the biggest problem with good management.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:36 PM

I guess the earn a buck doesn't bother me too badly. However, this 23 day gun season I am opposed to. They want to enact this and take out the t zone and earn a buck. I think if they make it 23 days it gives those few another 14 days to wait for a buck. Now, how is that going to reduce teh doe population? Also, up north they do not have a late t zone because of snowmobiling etc. If you increase it to 23 days you will be right back to having the same days as the late t zone. You might as well use your muzzle loader for a tree stake. Why would you handicap yourself if you can use a rifle? Late season bow hunting is hard enough after the 9 day season, imagine if it were 23 days. Should the deer be stressed for 23 days before going into a long winter? Soory for rambling on, but I could go on.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:59 AM
nub

What is your opinion coming from ground zero???
I was just in the DNR site checking on the positives from last fall. Looks like we're down to 1%. Deer sightings here on the farm are nil. I've seen a few on farms with no pressure tho. We have about 7 acres of picked corn in the back that is just loaded with spilled shelled corn. Hardly a track can be found.

I took 1 doe from here with a bow last fall. She was negative. Still can't bring myself to gun hunt for 3 months. Sat a total of about 6 times with a gun. Saw none, shot none. Marathon county was good for filling my freezer tho!
Old 02-29-2004, 10:47 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Well, after all the fine responses...and I mean that! I have a few points:

I hunt in Unit 61. We have consistently had one of the highest ratios of does killed to bucks...in DNR parlance, antlerless to antlered, of any unit in the state for YEARS now, and we end up in EAB????

The overwinter goal has been reduced twoce since 1990 in unit 61. I now stands at something like 19? So if the DNR, in their ultimate stupidity, decides to reduce it again, to say 12, then we never reach the "goal" that they state we need to be at.

From what I see, we have a bunch of bureaucrats in air-conditioned offices sipping their lattes' deciding what the appropriate goal is for deer in a unit, based on the already discredited SAk model.

Quit whining, climb of the bar stool, stop baiting, start learning to hunt, and shoot some does!!!!!!!
Oh, by the way, I shot 3 does...not antlerless deer in the DNR's parlance, three FEMALE deer last year, two with my tags and one with a friends. Also, I don't bait. How many did the sanctimonious ones on this board do???!!![:@]
Old 03-01-2004, 05:29 PM

I shot one female deer last year and passed up several 1 1/2 yr. old bucks and too many buttons to count. Could have shot more does but I'm the only one in the house that eats venison. I didn't feel like taking more than I could eat. And I agree 100% with you there needs to be a line drawn for antlerless deer, a button buck is a buck not an "antlerles deer".

Quick Reply: Here we go again, Wisconsin!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.