Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Central Ohio varmints >

Central Ohio varmints

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Central Ohio varmints

Old 02-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Central Ohio varmints

I thought about posting this on the small game predator section, but thought some experienced Ohio hunters might see it here.

I have summers off (teacher), and I'm not much of a fisherman. I'm relatively new to Ohio hunting, so what kind of summer hunting can I do? Yote's are open all year, and there are plenty in Central Ohio. Wild boars are open all year, but I don't think I live in the right area for them. Ground hogs are open all year, but I honestly do not know how to hunt them. Would you find them in pastures, corn fields, etc. or are they woodland animals? Crows open in June, that is cool.

Any suggestions on how to have some fun summer hunting?

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Central Ohio varmints

E...I'm in the same area as you, and the same occupation.

Groundhogs are pasture animals mostly and are easy to find early in the year and after mowing of fields. I love to sit on bean fields early in the year and just after picking. I've killed 5 in 10 minutes doing this in the past.

Coyotes are HARD to hunt. I've killed a couple, but tried many times. They are best called at dusk or later...with a mouth or electronic call. They can smell like a buck deer, and can see well also.

Crows are a blast. Just buy a call, get some camo and set up in an area with some crows. Once you shoot a couple, the others get confused and can often be called back. It's a ball. Tastes like chicken, too...LOL
Old 02-20-2004, 01:25 PM

groundhogs,I hunt them all summer.Farmers love it .look along creeks ,rivers and woodsline.Just sit and wait.Beenfields and hay fields are about the best.Come over this way and i will take you out if you are intersted.west central ohio
Old 02-21-2004, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the info, guys.

Come over this way and i will take you out if you are intersted.
Thanks. I'll remember that. Always looking for a new good hunt!