Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 IL coyote hunting reg question >

IL coyote hunting reg question

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

IL coyote hunting reg question

Old 12-18-2003, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default IL coyote hunting reg question

On the public land where I bowhunt and shotgun hunt for deer, it is also legal for me to take a coyote. So, I thought I could just take a yote if he walked by while I was out doing my thing.

I recently read in the current IL hunting regs (on page 21) that "it is unlawful to use or possess any tree climbing or cutting device when hunting furbearing mammals."

This sounds like I could only take a yote if I don't happen to be hunting from my treestand. If so, bummer since that is normally how I'm hunting.

Anybody know if this applies to my situation???
Thanks.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: IL coyote hunting reg question

it is in the regs like that . it was explained to me that it was put in for coon hunters and unfortunatly it does apply to coyotes but it would be hard to catch, i have been told by a game warden that they themselves would not cite for it but there may be some out there that would
Old 12-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think most CPO's WOULD "write ya" if they could on this one.

Remember, if you shoot a coyote during shotgun season-you have to put your deer tag on it.

I myself think the sound of a pack on a fresh gut pile after dark, under the black sky with stars looking close enough to reach out and grab hold of, is REALLY cool.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 12-20-2003, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Remember, if you shoot a coyote during shotgun season-you have to put your deer tag on it.
Where did you come up with this? I have never heard of such a thing.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

that is not true you dont put a deer tag on a coyote
Old 12-22-2003, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never heard of putting a deer tag on a yote either.

There are 2 places in the regs (p.7 left column, and p.2 note "e") that says you can take yotes during shutgun deer season with slugs IF you have unfilled deer permits in your posession, but I'm quite sure this statement is simply to insure that you have a reason to be in the field with a slug gun in the first place.

As far as I know, this rule only applies to a hunter's use of slugs on yotes, and has nothing to do with tagging them.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

The reg is meant to legitimize a hunter taking a coyote during deer season. As someone stated, you must have a valid tag in your possession to take a coyote during the deer season(with a legal pistol, shotgun slug or muzzleloader). Rifles and pistols that do not conform to legal status are prohibited to be in your possession during the deer season. Legal pistols are those such as .30 carbine, .357. .41, .44, .454 .480 and .500. About all others are prohibited as they are either too powerful or don't generate enough power to meet specs.

It simply keeps the guy from saying he was just coyote hunting when he was out to poach a deer if the opportunity availed itself.

No, you don't tag it with your deer tag.

God luck!
Old 12-22-2003, 04:37 PM

In some areas like Crab Orchard if you shoot a coyote you have to give up your deer tag for coyote, and put it on the yote! But it is not like that in all public land. But I never knew it was not legal to use a stand!
Old 12-25-2003, 06:17 PM

It is legal to shoot coyotes with slugs during firearm deer season if you have an unfilled deer tag. the coyote does n't get tagged. Just shot hopefully.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is it legal to use slugs for coyotes outside of shotgun season?

Quick Reply: IL coyote hunting reg question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.