Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Upper Michigan Wolves >

Upper Michigan Wolves

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Upper Michigan Wolves

Old 12-12-2003, 01:18 AM

Default Upper Michigan Wolves

I have a bunch of buddies that hunt near the Marquette County/ Baraga County border near the Huron Mountain Club. The last few years the deer hunting, and deer sightings, have been declining at an alarming rate in the upper part of the UP. (I hunt fairly close to this area approximately 25 miles east.) A guy I work with told me he saw, along with his hunting partners and friends, more wolves then deer this year in that area. On one occasion he was sitting in a blind when he had a doe come running full steam by him. The doe was shortly followed by a pure white wolf with two black wolves behind. I guess that would be a neat thing to see, but not while hunting. I hear alot of hunters in the Big Bay area are pretty upset by the vast number of wolves being seen and the few nuber of deer at any given time throughout the year. I had another friend who hunts near Lanse tell me pretty much the same thing, a bunch of wolf sighting and not many deer. The area I hunt, I have noticed a decline in the number of deer, espacially this year, and know people who have seen wolves in the area. I personallly have only seen tracks.

Do you in the know believe the DNR are under reporting the number of wolves in the UP? And do you think wolves are having that large of an effect on the deer herd here? I have heard alot of talk by people willing to take the wolf matter into their own hands. What do you think? I guess I believe there is a wolf problem starting here.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Upper Michigan Wolves

I think I would check with the DNR boys
before I started to take matters in hand
and killing them you could end up in some
hot water.They know their there,call the
fish and game and see what they are saying.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:10 PM

I hunt in Mackinac county near Curtis and Gould City. One of my friends has heard the same complaint about wolves in the area and the locals swear there killing all the deer. I don't know if it's true or not, but I do know for a fact the DNR killed a wolf that was feeding on livestock (cows I believe?) north of Engadine.

I saw a coyote/wolf heading towards the gut pile I left during bow season, I'm certain in was a coyote but it was through the trees so I don't know for certain. I always wish I'd see more deer, but I think numbers maybe down in the Eastern UP for no particular reason. I'm not ready to blame the wolves yet.

I always find sign of deer and tracks, so there in the area. They haven't been devastated by the wolves yet, but maybe someday it could become a problem, but I'm not going to blame the less then steller hunting seasons on the darn wolves yet.

Hopefully our DNR has things under control, but between them being understaffed and underfunded, we can't beat them up to bad. I believe they do what they can.

And another thing we can't expect the hunting season's we had back in the early 90's, they were some good years.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:12 PM

I think it has been the weather more than wolves, very wet and rainy fall. I'm sure the wolf thing is going to get more out of hand before it is all over with. I hunt Chippewa County and in the Hiawatha National Forest is a wintering deer yard and we haven't come across any wolf tracks or kills since the rumor of the wolf introduction 3 years ago....
Old 12-27-2003, 04:27 PM

I realize your points and agree to a point. I personally have not seen any wolves, only tracks, but a lot of people I know have seen more wolves then deer. I think this a little strange, don't you? I personally believe the DNR are not being totally honest with us about the numbers of wolves in the UP. I also think, just my opinion, the DNR are not doing what is right biologically, for the various animal populations in Michigan. It seems they are caving a little too much to the NRC, a political board appointed by the governor. It seems they are making decisions based on feelings and not on sound sientific principals. If the UP starts to have a wolf problem, I am willing to bet that nothing will be done because of public pressure based on anti's feelings and not on science and what is the best for every species. I guess only time will tell. And if you are wondering, I am an ethical person and hunter. I would not and will not break the law by shooting wolves, but will let my voice be heard for what is right if a problem shows itself. I hope everyone will do the same.

My thoughts/ Chris