Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Using salt blocks in Illinois >

Using salt blocks in Illinois

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Using salt blocks in Illinois

Old 12-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Using salt blocks in Illinois

Is it legal to use salt blocks or deer cane in the offseason in Illinois? I'm wanting to put some out in the spring and put my deer cam by it to get some pics. Just trying to make sure I'm not breaking any laws.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:31 PM

Default RE: Using salt blocks in Illinois

Its legal in the off season but illegal during the season.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-02-2003, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Titleist ; NO IT IS NOT LEGAL AT ANY TIME DURING THE YEAR IN THE STATE OF ILLINOIS.

If you refer to your Illinois Digest Of Hunting and Trapping Regulations-2003-2004.....Page 7....

FEEDING OR BAITING OF WILDLIFE
It is unlawful to make available Food, Salt, Mineral Blocks or other Products for ingestion by wild deer or other Wildlife in areas where wild deer are present.

I HAVE NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHY THE IDNR HAS BANNED THE FEEDING OR MINERAL SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING OF DEER IN THE STATE OF ILLINOIS AND YET STILL ALLOW THE SALE OF CERTAIN DEER ATTRACTANTS FOR EXAMPLE " DEER CANE", just dosent make much sense to me, I feel they should also ban the sale of supplemental food or mineral deer attractants in the state of Illinois.
Deborah Knoff
Old 12-03-2003, 12:52 AM
Fork Horn

Lady is right. It is illegal to use salt or anything anytime of the year. It use to be legal in the off season but the rule was changed due to the threat of CWD and the spread of it as well as other illnesses!!

Lady, I always thought the same thing about still selling it in Illinois. If its illegal to use it should not be sold here!!
Old 12-03-2003, 06:52 AM

This is because of the increased threat of CWD in IL, it use to be allowed, until they found out of the disease, but after we are cleard of CWD then you will be able to do it!
Old 12-03-2003, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is the blurb right from the law book.

Feeding or Baiting of Wildlife
It is unlawful to make available food, salt,
mineral blocks or other products for ingestion
by wild deer or other wildlife in areas
where wild deer are present. Except:
• elevated bird/squirrel feeders providing
seed, grain, fruit, worms, or suet for
birds or squirrels located within 100 feet
of a dwelling devoted to human occupancy.
• incidental feeding of wildlife within
active livestock operations.
• feeding of wild animals, other than wild
deer, by hand as long as a reasonable
attempt is made to clean up unconsumed
food.
• feeders for wildlife other than deer so
long as deer are excluded from the
feed in and around the feeder by fencing
or other barriers.
• standing crops planted and left standing
as food plots for wildlife.
• grain or other feed scattered or distributed
solely as a result of normal agricultural,
gardening, or soil stabilization
practices.
• standing, flooded, or manipulated natural
vegetation or food/seed deposited by
natural vegetation.
• grain or other feed distributed or scattered
solely as the result of manipulation
of an agricultural crop or other feed
on the land where grown, for purposes
of dove hunting.
• food material placed for capturing or
killing wildlife pursuant to 520 ILCS
5/2.37, 2.30, and 1.3.
• scientific permits issued pursuant to 17
Ill. Adm. Code 520 that allow food to
attract wildlife.
• any other permits issued by the
Department of Natural Resources that
require the attraction of wildlife for purposes
of management, research or
control.
• Violation of the provisions of this part is
a Petty Offense with a maximum fine of
$1,000.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:05 PM

kind of like fireworks. They are illegal to use, but you can find them everywhere.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:36 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Mike,

Lady, I always thought the same thing about still selling it in Illinois. If its illegal to use it should not be sold here!!
Shortly after the emergency rule first went into effect last fall I was in an archery shop. I had a pile of stuff I wanted to buy, so I took it up to the counter. While the owner was ringing me up, I inquired about the Deer Caine and deer lick blocks for sale. Since the rule had just gone into effect, I didn't know if he was aware of it. His exact response..."Well, it's not illegal for me to f---ing sell it!"

I closed my wallet, left the merchandise on his counter, walked out of his shop, and haven't been back since.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

And you can use this post as an example, that there are still hunters and not to mention the enourmous #s of the general public that are still unaware of this new law, and are still feeding and supplementing the wild deer in Illinois.
Alot of hunters I have spoken to were still unaware of this new law , until I pointed it out to them in the hunting Digest...... that most of the non hunting general public dosent read
As for the availability of the deer supplemental food and mineral products that you can still easily find on the retail store shelves, well ya know if their gonna offer it for sale people are gonna buy it and use it.... if you compare it to fireworks, they are illegal to use in the state of Illinois so they also made the it Illegal to sell them in the state of Illinois..... so why dont they make the sale of deer feed and mineral attractant ( such as deer caine )illegal in the state of Illinois?????? and Im not talking about the sale of mineral blocks for livestock, or salt blocks that are used for livestock.... but you know some individuals are still going to use salt blocks for deer bait whether its illegal or not, and hunt over it.... they are called poachers.... and have no idea or just dont think it out... or just dont care about the harm they could be inflicting on our future deer herd in Illinois if CWD should take a firm hold on our herd in Illinois..... but ya know they will proabably be the first ones to point a finger at the IDNR for not putting a halt to the spread of CWD in Illinois , when they may have actually been the ones to have helped to facilitate the spread of CWD by baiting.
Please help the state and dont bait, or youll be the one ... why the deer are all gone.
Deborah Knoff

Quick Reply: Using salt blocks in Illinois

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.