Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Southern Illinois-Johnson County? >

Southern Illinois-Johnson County?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Southern Illinois-Johnson County?

Old 11-16-2003, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Southern Illinois-Johnson County?

Looking for some real recent feedback. Who' s been afield in last couple weeks? Anyone? What is the rut activity? I would really even appreciate any info close to Johnson county. Union or Williamson counties?

Leaving Tuesday evening and bow hunting Wednesday and Thursday.

We will be in area right around check station at the old Veach truck stop at Routes 37 & 146. We are just about 10 miles down 37 at northern edge of Cypress.

Anyone for a burger and beer at the old Chuck Wagon in Cypress. Great burgers!
Chuck Wagon is right in Cypress, block behind the old Stop-n-Go, east of 37.

ANY recent info or replies will be GREATLY appreciated. Oldest boy is gunning for his first deer. Any (and all) celebrations will take place at the Chuck Wagon.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 11-16-2003, 03:31 PM

Default RE: Southern Illinois-Johnson County?

Hi Uncle Matt, remember me- you helped me out last year on my first hunt to Johnson county. Sorry I didn' t email you back with an update but I came home to a new job and I went back to school (strange at 35 yrs old). Well I came up empty handed both hunts and the land owner ended up letting me tag his doe. I was a little fustrated with the hunt. My brother inlaw insisted he take me around the land the day before opening day and we kicked up some does and a huge 10 pnt (our smell was probably everywhere). I let everything pass in hopes of a big buck and never saw him. And worse, I borrowed my brother in laws shotgun and when it came time to sight it in-its was off atleast 10 inch' s at a 100 yards. The group said it would be fine- I know better!!! Well every shot that was presented second season was either 10 feet away with my gun pointed in the other direction or over 100 yards. I either got busted or opted not to take the long shot. I wanted clean kills. But in all it was fun and beautifull down there.

The best of luck to you Uncle Matt. There are some monsters down there.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:49 PM

I live in Massac and most of my hunting is there. I have hunted hard for the last week and a half and have 3 more days before shotgun season. I can' t seem to get a good buck close enough while on stand. The weather is really warm for mid November but the bucks are still chasing does all over the place. Stay with the does and you should be seeing bucks. A friend drove to Marion today and saw a huge 12pt standing on the side of the road watching a doe in the middle of the morning acting like he didn' t have a care in the world. You should have plenty of action if you can endure the rain.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:21 AM

well I live in perry county and I usually either go to pyramid state park near pinckneyville or I go to a place in randolph county... there is always plenty of action around here.

As you probably already nkow southern Illinois is great for deer hunting and i' ve seen quite a few. i know around here is a few 12 and 14 pointers dropped during bow season. the perry county record was 28 point shot a few years ago. So if I were in the area i' d drop by pyramid and try there.

hopefully this helps and good luck