Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Bucks

Old 11-14-2003, 07:58 PM

Default Indiana Bucks

Greetings fellow Hoosiers,

I viewed this site last night at work as a guest and was very impressed so I joined this evening.

I want to share photos of 3 bucks I have harvested over the years, tell the story' s and find out how other Hoosier hunters are doing.

NOTE: I have tried to download my photo' s but can' t get it to work. Can anyone help me out? I can e-mail the photo' s for you to post. Thanks

I hunt private property in NW IN. The Demotte, Roselawn area. The area is very wooded.

This first buck was harvested Oct. 1 1999 the first ten minutes of bow season. Four buck' s came through grouped up. I took this 10 pointer at 13 yards. He ran about 50 yards.

Photo: TLL_6.jpg

This second buck was harvested Nov. 3 2002. I was having a great morning in my stand. Really enjoying life. Although I had not seen any deer, I had a group of turkeys working around me. Life is good !! It was 10 am and I thought about climbing out of my stand for the morning but the turkeys kept in place. I was watching a few turkeys, out about 70 yards through the woods, when I caught a glimps of somthing moving amongst them. After a few seconds I picked out deer legs. I grabed my grunt tube and let out a few short grunts. The deer responded with its own grunt and started coming through the woods my way. When the deer was 40 yards from me I caught a glimpse of antler. At first I thought it was a smaller spike or 4 pointer but at 25 yards I could see it was a shooter buck. At 18 yards I put an arrow through his boiler. This 8 pointer ran 70 yards jumped a
4 foot high barb wire fence and piled up. This buck was taken out of the same stand as the first buck.

Photo: TLL_7.jpg

This past Saturday, Nov. 8 2003, I was hunting a ridge line that had a main trail running through it about 200 yards from where I had taken the previous 2 bucks.
I had drug a sent drag with Still Steaman doe in estrous urine to a scrape about 20 yards from my stand. I hung the sent wick on a branch over the scrape. The morning was very cold and crisp with no wind. A heavy frost covered everything. It was the kind of morning when you can here them coming from a long way off. 10 minutes before shooting time 2 does walked through about 40 yards in front of me. I thought to myself, well I can at least say I saw deer today. !0 minutes into shooting time I heard deer approaching. A doe was coming up the trail I had drug my sent line. She followed my sent line right to the scrape 20 yards to my left. As I watched her I heard somthing else walking through the woods heading in my direction. I was hoping for a buck to be on her trail, but it was another doe. As I stuggled to see what was walking towards me through the woods I turned my attention back to the doe at the scrape who had caught my movement and was now very alert looking right at me. She took 2 nervous steps, never snorted and was about to exite the area when all of a sudden out of no where a 5 point stepped out of the woods 20 yards behind me and the doe. I never seen nor heard him coming. He came up the ridge downwind from me and the doe. I would say he smelled the sent wick, came up the ridge and saw the doe standing under the wick. Well he started chasing that doe and the doe forgot all about me. She was just trying to get this fellow off her tail. I watched this go on for about 5 minutes. Finally they both went their seperate ways. About 15 minutes later I heard somthing else walking through the woods, a 4 pointer walked by me at 10 yards. I couldnt believe the morning I was having. 30 minutes into shooting time and I had seen 6 deer with shots at 3 of them. It doesnt get much better than that. 10 minutes after the four pointer came through I heard somthing coming through the woods from the direction the four pointer had went. I sat there thinking the four pointer was coming back. I sat there listening as the leaf crunching got louder and louder. Then I heard a grunt, it was a high pitched sissy grunt and I thought for sure it was the four point. I grabbed my grunt tube and let out a long drawn out deep grunt. The deer responded back with his high pitched grunt. I grunted at him twice and he responded twice. I was having so much fun. I finally saw movement coming through the woods. As he stepped into a clear spot I saw a very large almost pure white rack on top of his head. This wasnt no sissy four pointer. He was the buck of my lifetime. There was no time for buck fever, seconds after seeing the size of his rack he stepped into my shooting lane. At 35 yards I put an arrow through both lungs. This 9 pointer ran about 120 yards. Upon retrieving him I noticed all the white and grey on his face. He must be a pretty old buck. What do you guys think.

Photo: TLL_1.jpg
Photo: TLL_2.jpg
Photo: TLL_3.jpg
Photo: TLL_4.jpg

I would like to see and hear other Hoosier white tail success storys.

Thanks to:

George' s Archery Shop, Cedar Lake, IN
George is an expert who will take care of your every need and answer any questions. He is #1 in my book.

American Natural Resources Taxidermy, Griffith, IN. My mounts say it all.

I use:

Scent Lock suits, I' ve taken three deer down wind from me, one of them the second buck above. They never knew I was there.

Golden Eagle, Formula 3D bow. I' ve taken 9 deer and 2 hogs with this bow. Its 11 years old and I hope to be using it 11 years from now. Thanks George.

Thunder Head Broadheads, 100 grain.

Filson apperal. You can' t beat Filson' s wool products for warm and dry hunting.

Still Steamin Doe in Estrous urine. I' ve used this for 3 years with great success.

Thanks for reading my story.

Wanatah

Old 11-15-2003, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Indiana Bucks

to get your pictures to show up your are going to have to put them in a photo album on the internet like imagestation.com or hunt101.com. When i have some time I will put some of my bucks up here, but now I' m going huntin!
Old 11-15-2003, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome aboard! Post away![:-]
Old 11-17-2003, 11:55 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the board Wanatah!! Always nice seeing another Hoosier join the fun..lol. Great stories!!! I really enjoyed that last one, that must have been one heck of a morning...I bet your never gonna forget that!!!

I hunt with my step brother and his friend on private property in Southern Indiana!! We went down there on Sunday (Nov. 16). My brother seen a 6 pt. but didnt get a shot at him. We are going this Saturday to try again.
Once again welcome to the boards!!

Outlaw
Old 11-18-2003, 01:26 PM

TEST
Old 11-24-2003, 09:14 AM

Old 11-24-2003, 09:17 AM

Old 11-24-2003, 06:27 PM

i would just like to say those are three very nice buck.great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2003, 06:16 AM

The photo' s related to this thread can be found in the
Midwest forum / Indiana Bucks Photo' s.

Good hunting to all,
WANATAH
Old 11-26-2003, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

wanatah, those are great pics, thanks for sharing....i took this 8-pointer the morning of Nov. 8th also. that was an awesome morning to be in the woods, a setting moon, heavy frost, bucks were really in the chasing/seeking phase. i shot this buck at 10 yards, about 15 minutes after daylight, my best yet!!!

Quick Reply: Indiana Bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.