Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Help with School Hunting Project >

Help with School Hunting Project

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Help with School Hunting Project

Old 02-06-2018, 02:16 PM
Spike

Default Help with School Hunting Project

For a school project I have to create a business, so I decided to do something I was passionate about and create a business related to hunting, and if you could help me out and answer these four questions for an assignment I would extremely appreciate it. My business is kind of an Airbnb for hunting. Farmers or other landowners would list their land available to hunt on the website, and then hunters could look at the properties and pay the landowner a certain amount to hunt their land.

Here are the questions I need answered for the assignment:

1. Do you find value in being able to hunt a variety of land?

2. Would you pay money to hunt private land that is more convenient and/or offers better hunting than what you currently hunt?

3. If so, how much would you be willing to pay per day, week, or season to hunt this land?

4. Would you use this website/app? Why or why not?

Thank you for all your help, you have no idea how much I appreciate it!
Old 02-06-2018, 02:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

While I am not going to answer your questions, I think my response will tell you why. I believe listing property open to hunting for a fee on the internet would be a nightmare for the landowner posting the offer. It would not only be exposed to legitimate hunters who may be interested but it would be available to every nutcase anti hunter in the country or the world and an invitation for all kinds of harassment.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

i guess you know there are already companies that do this type of thing .. i am on mailing list of 2 of them .. but to answer your ?'s

1---definitely
2---possibly
3--their offers are $30 per ac. or more
4--yes
Old 02-07-2018, 11:03 AM
Spike

I think old timr is right on with this one. If it was yearly only I think that would solve a lot of the problems. For one the nut cases wouldn't commit to that price for the year. You wouldn't have to deal with cancellations. I also wouldn't be amped to hunt a piece that is overhunted, and daily and weekly renting would do that. I would pay up to $40.00 per acre. I would like an app or website to use as long as it was yearly. I never choose a hunting spot because of convenience. I also doubt it would be better land. It may of had nice bucks but if people don't hunt the wind, have hunters that practice extreme scent control, and with some hunters they hunt two hours and then walk around. I think places that let multiple hunters daily, weekly etc.. the good land won't last.

These are my opinions I hope it helps you on your project.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:46 AM
Fork Horn

1---definitely
2---yes
3--Depends on the property. Assuming it's exclusive to me and has 75 acres or so of prime huntable land, I'd go up to $15 per acre for annual rights. Over 100 acres, needs to be exclusive to my hunting group.
4--yes. Basically this provides an electronic trade exchange for hunting lands. The old way of knocking on doors and asking may work occasionally but is becoming harder to do every day.

Feel free to pm me for discussion.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

Guess thats why I don't lease land lol There is no way I would pay to rent a place for 30 or 40$ an acre. I would be more around 4 to 5$ an acre for a year lease. Of course that is all depending on the size of said property. I might go to 10$ if its a bit small area 100 acres or less.

Any way to answer the questions at hand.
1. Yes a variety of areas in my opinion is great so you don't sit stagnate at on place. I like a little variety. On the other hand I also like to get to learn my area also.

2. Yes but it would have to be the right scenario and also not gouge my bank account.

3. Depend on the species and what we are going for here. A yearly lease 4 to 10$ and acre. If you are talking about a guided/semi guided it would depend on the quality of the animals in the area and the experience I would be looking for.

4. If I was in the market for such a thing having several on one site would help so I probably would look at it. There are already a few sites like that though.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

My answers.

Here are the questions I need answered for the assignment:

1. Do you find value in being able to hunt a variety of land?
Yes. Different challenges and learning new/different methods for hunting a given area.

2. Would you pay money to hunt private land that is more convenient and/or offers better hunting than what you currently hunt?
While convenience is attractive, I'd be more interested in better hunting.

3. If so, how much would you be willing to pay per day, week, or season to hunt this land?
I'd have to agree with everyone else on this. Leasing land to hunt loses its' attractiveness if it's over hunted which would be a likely problem if leased for anything less than per season. Ideally, a hunting land lease would be for a year so you have a chance to learn the land and let game catch its' breath.

4. Would you use this website/app? Why or why not?
I prefer going to websites on a desktop computer since it's easier to see (bigger screen), easier to type (bigger keyboard) and using an app on a cell phone often means you're not getting the whole program (usually to increase response times).

Hopefully this helps.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

1. Do you find value in being able to hunt a variety of land? Yes. But once I find a good place to hunt with adequate quarry, there is no need to search for another.

2. Would you pay money to hunt private land that is more convenient and/or offers better hunting than what you currently hunt? Only for out of state or for quarry not present in Illinois. I prefer not to pay for access to hunt in my home state.

3. If so, how much would you be willing to pay per day, week, or season to hunt this land? Not easy to answer.
Depends on quarry, parcel size, number of participants, length of access

4. Would you use this website/app? Why or why not? I would use a website. Would like to see pictures, pricing, regulations, what to bring.

Thank you for all your help, you have no idea how much I appreciate it![/QUOTE]
Old 02-17-2018, 06:50 AM
Spike

1. Yes
2. Yes
3 depend
4. Probably not an app, it could be used for more of an outfitter trying to fill dates. But paying for hunting land is not usually a spur of the moment idea.