Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
1st time hunting Illinois >

1st time hunting Illinois

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

1st time hunting Illinois

Old 09-29-2017, 10:06 AM
Spike

Default 1st time hunting Illinois

First season here in Illinois. I got a base hunting permit (Scott AFB, St. Clair County) but talking to alot of people base gets hunted hard. Any good state lands around an hr drive from Scott that anyone can point me too. I know it is late but have had no time to get out with the new job.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by drew21
First season here in Illinois. I got a base hunting permit (Scott AFB, St. Clair County) but talking to alot of people base gets hunted hard. Any good state lands around an hr drive from Scott that anyone can point me too. I know it is late but have had no time to get out with the new job.
Sad to report I can hunt statewide due to my job, but all the Illinois public is so grossly over hunted due to fake NR limits I choose to pay $600 and apply in Iowa, where I'll be hunting this year. And with crossguns now allowed through the entire rut, Illinois public will be nothing but a dumpster fire. Our politicians now manage the deer, just like they managed our state credit to junk bond status.

Also, no doubt next year you will see the nonresident "limit" raised to however many additional gun hunters apply for archery tags this year. That's what happens when politicians declare themselves wildlife biologists. Manage strictly for special interest group and nonresident coin.

Wish I had better advice for you, but
Illinois public land deer quality sucks. The best advice is buy Iowa deer points and be prepared to pay $700 by 2021, when you will draw.

Last edited by Zim; 10-12-2017 at 03:53 PM.