Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
U.P. Michigan Hunt Cabin for rent >

U.P. Michigan Hunt Cabin for rent

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

U.P. Michigan Hunt Cabin for rent

Old 07-27-2017, 04:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

She is a pretty girl. My girl, Brandy turned 2 a couple of months ago. My previous setter, Whisky, was a Ryman setter from DeCoverly kennels in NE PA. He was a big boy which was his downfall, his spine went on him but he was a hunting fool, as in my present setter.

Whisky:

Brandy:

Old 07-27-2017, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

Got a 1 year and almost 14 year old Ryman. Lwellin is 4. Training has been lax. One before was barrell trained and had a great point.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I love the feathered tails and on their legs. Brother had a Springer back in the 1970's. What I wanted this time but all are now chopping the tails off 3 day old pups.
A bit of mineral oil and a good curry comb takes the burrs out

Al
Old 07-27-2017, 05:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree, setters are things of beauty to watch. In Europe they have pretty much stopped docking tails from what I understand. I bought some "show Sheen" to put on my setter before the hunt, the stuff they put on horses to make them shiny when they show them. It helps to get the burrs out but it makes the dogs coat slippy for a few days so I no longer use it. I have the leg feathers trimmed back a bit and have the coat cut back a little but not real short. The first thing I do when I am done hunting is get out the brush and comb and clean up the dog, then clean the birds, then I sit down and have a beer and some venison bologna.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

Also had a Tacomah bloodline. I believe some lewelln. Great dog. Passed on his 12th birthday. Barrel trained. Was roaded out west, had huge lungs and strong hearts. GF dog, she brough him to vet down south was going to put him to sleep. Lucky she is friends with a famous trainer, and she told him his heart is just slow, cause he was in good shape.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Have a friend in N. Dakota with a Llewellyn he got in Iowa a about 6 months before I got stormy. She is motor home, cycle trained. Puts her in a crate to go on the road in the summer on short day/week trips and in the motor home to go spend the winter in Texas.

Trained Her with pigeon's he caught under a RR over pass down the road from his sisters place where he parks his motor home in the summer. Was just shy of a year old last pheasant season in N. Dakota last year.
He named her Willow.

Al
Old 07-27-2017, 01:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is a Book about a setter named Jenny Willow by Mike Gaddis. I wonder if your friend read the book.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I bet Lynn has read that book, Last I heard from him he was in Texas yet and recovering from knee replacement surgery. Been there done that last summer my self.
I should shoot him an e mail.

Al