Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
What public land near coshocton can i get into deep. >

What public land near coshocton can i get into deep.

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

What public land near coshocton can i get into deep.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:34 AM
Spike

Default What public land near coshocton can i get into deep.

Newbie to the site and ohio public land hunting. I do hunt a lot of public land but just never have in Ohio. I will be staying in coshocton for the muzzleloader season and hunting the public land around there. Was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a good large track of woods around there that I could get in a couple miles deep and if so possibly what roads to access it from. I have been using my on x maps app to look at the land but I don't know where all the roads and trails are running through it. Also used Google earth but not familiar with it. Not trying to get anyone to give me there honey hole just want someone with knowledge of the land to possibly help me out. Thanks and good luck hunting.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you have the applications you mentioned, I don't know why you would have problems looking at the various access points to get into an area like you're talking about. My best buddy out in Wyoming has inlaws that live there and just downsized and sold their acreage where he used to be able to hunt whitetails. It's a great area for good deer down there, so hopefully you can get away from the crowds and see a nice buck or two. Good luck and welcome to the site!
Old 01-03-2017, 05:44 PM
Spike

Well I do have some maps but wasn't sure if they show all the roads that run through the land. The public land I hunt the Dnr open gates for hunting season and allow the hunters to use the roads to get deeper access to the land which makes it impossible to get a mile deep and get away from some of the hunters. Don't have a ton of time to scout before hitting the woods so just thought I would ask. The old and wise have always told me that it don't hurt to ask.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

There are some big public chunks in that area. Not to sure on specifics as I haven't been down that way in a long time. That's the center of good ohio deer country though. So you should be into a good area.
-Jake
Old 01-05-2017, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

I have moved this to the "Midwest" forum where you will hopefully get more responses from Ohio hunters.
-Jake
Old 01-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

i used to hunt woodbury wildlife area. just got to expensive for hotels. just remember the deeper you go off the road the less people you will see. seems when people hunt public land once they lose site of the road or vehicle they stop going any further. i used to go in about a mile & always dragged a decent deer out due to being pushed further into the woods.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Spike

Being from there, I can say you can get deep into any of the wma's but unfortunately you will have a very tough time getting away from hunters bc anymore plenty of hunters go deep for the same reason you want to. Between the amish wiping out whole tracts and the heavy population of hunters traveling to the area, many areas of Ohio are not what they used to be. Best of luck!