Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Mn. laws and such >

Mn. laws and such

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Mn. laws and such

Old 10-23-2003, 08:05 AM

Default Mn. laws and such

Minnesota passed a law stating that they could never take away the right to hunt.I don' t know exactly how it' s worded but that' s basically it.Luckily for me my father and some of his friends bought a forty some years ago and built a nice shack.Why do I say luckily,because they passed a law stating that you can' t build permanent stands on state or public lands anymore.I' m sure it was the logging companies which made this happen.The way I look at it there not gonna take away the chance to hunt,just make it so hard people won' t want to hunt anymore.I personally am a bow hunter and rifle hunter.I don' t have a problem using portable stands.But I would like to hunt until I' m an oldtimer.I don' t see myself hanging from a tree when I' m 70 trying to latch my stand onto it.This makes me mad!!
Old 10-23-2003, 07:53 PM

Default RE: Mn. laws and such

i personally like the ban on permanent treestands. I like to hunt public land and feel the area should appear as if i were the first person ever there.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe try one of those new-fangled ground blinds
Old 10-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

I think every state i ever have hunted has taken this same path. Permanent stands can be very nice and easy to get into. They also can be very dangerous if not kept up and checked on.

A ladder stand would not be a bad idea to invest in since you dont have to hang on to a tree when you install it.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:54 PM

The main reason that they banned them was because to many hunters were getting into fights about who the stands belong to. If you built it on public land( first come,first serve) applies here and the people who built the stands did' nt understand this or disagreed,so fights broke out.

(KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE)[8D]
Old 10-27-2003, 07:19 AM

You also have all these people building stands in the woods, and leaving them there forever (permanent). They may move away, or never hunt the area again. I don' t usually go out into the woods to enjoy seeing a crappy little tree house every 50 yards.

A permanent stand is nothing more than a junk pile 10 feet in the air.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:40 AM

Do you have a link to the passing of this new law? As of the last hunting regs booklet you were still allowed to build permanent stands on state forest land.

A have a freind who has several up and will need to inform him if there has been a change in the law. Several years ago they passed laws where permanent couldn' t be used on WMAs.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:15 PM

Well I like to see those old permanent stands out there. I like to try and see why they made it there. Where would the deer come from? Was there one killed from it? If so how big? When I am scouting and find a nice place where trailers are crossing or a natural funnel area I usually will look around and find a old permanent or some boards on the ground. Since it is all wood I can' t see the harm, unless they are stating that it is killing the trees......now this is just my opinion.....
Old 11-06-2003, 11:51 AM

I do not agree with too much of what the DNR does, but I do not disagree with this law. A ladder stand would definitely be the way to go.

Another point however i disagree with is that a friend of mine told me how the DNR was dealing with this new law. They go out looking for permanant stands and tear them down. Whatever happened to the grandfather-in rule? My friend had his nice kept up stand ripped down in a small area of state land in which no one ever hunts. This is wrong and goes to show how rediculous the DNR can be in Minnesota.