Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
what is ohio dnr thinking ? >

what is ohio dnr thinking ?

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

what is ohio dnr thinking ?

Old 02-16-2016, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default what is ohio dnr thinking ?

last week odnr came out with their proposals for 2016-17 deer hunting regs. they can't get people to hunt during the middle of the week & hardly see anybody anymore after the first day of gun season . they interduced a 2nd gun season on weds dec 28th & thursday dec 29 & they have put the fall 2 day muzzleloader season on suspension. what gives.. do they really think people are going to waste there time on a weds & thursday ? if you look at the statigistics those are the 2 slowest or lowest kill days. put back the fall early muzzleloader days on the 2nd weekend in oct.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why don't you ask them?
Old 02-16-2016, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

i have all intensions doing that on the open house on sat march 5 2016
between noon & 3 pm but will they listen of coarse not
Old 02-16-2016, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by t.shaffer
last week odnr came out with their proposals for 2016-17 deer hunting regs. they can't get people to hunt during the middle of the week & hardly see anybody anymore after the first day of gun season . they interduced a 2nd gun season on weds dec 28th & thursday dec 29 & they have put the fall 2 day muzzleloader season on suspension. what gives.. do they really think people are going to waste there time on a weds & thursday ? if you look at the statigistics those are the 2 slowest or lowest kill days. put back the fall early muzzleloader days on the 2nd weekend in oct.
most people don't have the paid time off like they use to after the 2008 crash it took a lot of benefits away from people along with the pay scale which has been driven down into the ground that coupled with all the other everyday living expenses going up it's no wonder people can't go anymore oh and i almost forgot the ridiculous cost's of ammo and hunting related items most people just can't afford to go anymore luckily the gas prices are coming down so that will help but when gas was 4 plus a gallon who could afford to drive around to hunt and scout all the time ! they should definitely do the early muzzleloader and a late muzzleloader season if you ask me even if you make them doe only if that will get the numbers down.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

You ask them why they set the seasons the way they did and they give you an answer as to why they did it. Better yet, don't wait til March, write a letter and ask them the question and you will get an answer in writing. Better because I suspect after your two posts here regarding the Ohio dept, the other regarding the past seasons harvest you are geared up to argue instead of hear their reasons. You say they won't listen. What do you mean by listen? When I hear someone say they don't listen to me or us it usually means "they won't do what I, we, want them to do" There is a big difference between asking a question and getting an answer to that question as to why something was done, and arguing that they don't know what they are doing and expecting them to change what they did. Usually when a game dept make a radical change there are news releases with an explanation to the hunting public.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-16-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:59 AM
Typical Buck

attened montly sportsman club meeting& had a quest speaker our own county game warden & pretty sad when he even says he won't attend a local open house due to the division of wildlife won't budge on any up coming changes. & what they will do next year if there are any decent proposals they will bring them up next year like they thought of them themselves. he even admitted that having a 2nd gun season on a weds & thursday is really a bright idea since those 2 days usually very few hunters are out & studies show those 2 days have the lowest kill rate of all 7 days
Old 02-24-2016, 04:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

If the local officer really said that he should be fired. He is not helping the sportsmen or the agency by publicly undermining the agency and what it is doing. That will bite him on the butt one day. I remember when PA made the killing of bear cubs legal, I was 100% opposed to doing that but I supported it in public and gave the reasons it was being done. Many hunters were up in arms over it so it would have been easy to be one of the boys and agree with them. Turns out it was the right thing to do and PA now has more bears than we ever did.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:39 AM
Banned

it seems to me that hunting when fewer hunters are out would be the best time to hunt.
could it be that fewer numbers are killed on those days, simply because fewer are hunting?

it sounds to me that you are against these hunts simply because the hunt you like was cancelled.
while I feel your pain the dnr was not created to pander to you alone, or any hunter for that matter. I would hope they are trying to do what is best for the herds. if they do that ,they create more hunting opportunities in the future.

it is a bummer your hunt was suspended , and I encourage you to question them and provide your input. in the meantime it is what it is. do what hunters do and adapt. I myself have had hunts that I loved suspended but it is usually because the status qou ain't working ,so they try something else.

Last edited by kidoggy; 02-24-2016 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, very few of us like change, change makes an unknown out of something we are comfortable with.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

no i'm not against these hunts but the fewer hunters out the less deer are likely to move. get a few dozen guys out & some won't sit for long & move & get the deer also to move. i lucky if i have seen a dozen people out on weds & thursdays in the last deer years. i've got the whole woods to myself during those 2 days i just spot & stalk. but really had any luck thoses days killed everyday except weds & thursdays. but when it comes to gun seasons i'm out there . cause you sure as hell can't kill them if you aint out there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.